HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast Starter - Off to a good start? Rookie Brewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
Vintage63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Yeast Starter - Off to a good start? Rookie Brewer

I made my first yeast starter last night. Followed Jamil's Yeast Pitching Rate Calculator and formula for how much DME to water to use. The beer I am brewing will have an estimated OG of 1.062, so I used 1.32 liters and about 130 grams of DME. No yeast nutrient.

I don't have a flask, so I boiled for 15 minutes and put into a 1/2 gallon growler. Problem is, I can't see what the heck is going on in there. I have been shaking/swirling the starter every so often (at least when I am home).

Is this dang thing working? Should I just be RDWHAHB and let it sit??

All you veterans out there, thanks in advance for your responses.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

do you have the top clamped down on the growler or do you have a airlock on it? im new as well, but i dont see any issues with taking the lid of and see whats going on. At this point, theres a possibility that it has already fermented out and the krausen would have settled, but might as well take a look.

possibly dumb question, but you didnt mention that you put the yeast in the cooled wort. Im assuming youve done this, but just want to make sure.

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Vintage63
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I cooled the wort to approx. 70 degrees F and then transfered to the growler. It is covered with foil. I took a peek, but not much action. I have heard that not a lot of action is common. I'm probobly just trippin' on it.

Quick Reply