Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast starter with expired yeast - question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
rockout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Good news, everyone!

Brewed on Friday night, and finally, this morning, active fermentation has been spotted from my airlock. Seems pretty healthy, too; I'm getting bubbling every twenty seconds or so, and yesterday morning I was getting nothing.

I did smell the starter before I pitched it, and it smelled... well, like any other starter I've made (all 3 of them). Definitely didn't smell rancid or anything, so I figured, why not. And I saved $4 on the expired-since-Spetember yeast! Not that I'd voluntarily do this again. I gotta find a good online source for yeast.

Now I only need to know how long to keep this brew in primary. I had another thread at:

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66013

in which I asked "what do I do with all my little leftover bags of grain" and a very nice guy posted a recipe for me. I've always left stuff in the primary 7-10 days but then my batch before this one was an IPA where the recipe (also given to me here) specified 3 weeks in the primary. So I have no idea on this one. Please feel free to visit that thread if you have any advice for me!

Thanks again guys. This isn't just the best homebrewing site on the web, it's the best site for getting useful advice on anything I've ever seen, period.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply