Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast starter with an Erlenmeyer Flask questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
Dukester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast starter with an Erlenmeyer Flask questions.

So I finally got the gear I need to do proper starters after doing the pot and growler technique for a while. I boiled the starter wort in the flask but what is the best way to cool it quickly? Clearly I don't want to use the ice bath method and risk thermal shock shattering the flask. Is there a good technique to get the temp down reasonably quickly to pitching temp?

Cheers,

Dukester

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

On Deck - Scottish Wee Heavy (All grain)
Primary - Scottish Wee Heavy (Extract)
Secondary - Empty
In the keg - Shop Floor Malt Beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I still use a small sauce pan, cool in the pan in an ice bath, and then transfer to the Erlenmeyer. You can, however, just place the erlenmeyer in the fridge without worrying about it breaking.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Pour hot water over the flask and slowly turn it colder. When the flask gets cooler, then drop it in the ice bath. The flasks are strong enough not to shatter, but this is a good way to drop the temp of the glass so you're sure it won't happen.

Thanks for the input

Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Brasco20
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Arent those flasks made out of a glass that can handle the temp changes? I boil mine in a sauce pan then poor in the flask, and put it in an ice bath. I have a metal ring from northern brewer that holds the flask down so you dont have a bobber, works pretty sweet.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I boil in a 4L pot, use a funnel to transfur into the flask, set the full flask back in the 4L pot in the sink and run cold water into the pot.

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Quick Reply