Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast Starter with Dry Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Enoch52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Yeast Starter with Dry Yeast?

I read in this thread that pitching a starter with dry yeast is a bad idea:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/brow...65/index2.html

Does anyone have any info on this? I did this with my 2nd brew (NB's Irish Red starter kit; about done bottle-conditioning). I'm about to start my 3rd, and I was about to make a starter with DanStar Nottingham Ale Yeast--but I'll make a trip to the LHBS if that's a better idea.

Actually, if making a starter for dry yeast is a bad idea (and I'm going to be making a store run anyway), what yeast would you all recommend for a Southern English Brown Ale? I'm going for an oatmeal cookie-type flavor.

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:
Primary: Mosaic IPA
On Deck: Cherry Melomel
Gone But Not Forgotten: Blue Schoon (Blue Moon clone)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I'm the one who made that thread so I'll subscribe to this one! I had to make a starter for my 11 gallon batch because I only had 1 packet of S-04 yeast on hand. The starter worked well and produced over 1 cup of thick white yeast layer in the bottom of the 2L starter. Maybe I stressed the yeast? They took off in the beer within 12 hours!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 45

if you have the notty dry ( not repitching from a slurry) then just sprinkle it on top of the wort. No need to make a starter. If you are washing and saving the notty then yes do a starter.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Well is not that is a bad idea is just unncesary and it can cost you the same to make an starter than to buy an addiotional pack of yeast if needed, if the wort doesn´t have a very high OG you can pitch just one pack with no problems.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Enoch52
Recipes 

Well, the recipe I'm using comes in at a higher OG than style according to BeerSmith (1.067 as opposed to 1.033-1.042), and it looks like a starter (or a second pack) will be necessary.

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:

Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2260 Times on 1969 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

I've done starters for old dry yeast packets before with great results. Fermentation took off in a few hours. I've also done it fresh 7g yeast packets to build up the number of yeast cells. That was a good one too. But I started using bigger yeas packets,as NB & midwest carry the larger 15g Cooper's ale yeast packets. The larger packets are fresher than the lil 7g ones that come with the cans.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
bobeer
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I use dry yeast for my 2.5 gallon batches. I've used sa-04 and sa-05 for all kinds of beer with various gravity's ranging from 1.050's all the way up to 1.080 with no starters. I've never had any issues with fermentation and I ferment at about 65-67 degrees. If I'm doing a 5 gallon batch, or more, I just use WL yeast and always use some sort of starter. After a lot of trial and error this works best for me.

Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
On Deck: Stocious Stout

Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Enoch52
Recipes 

Well, the DanStar Nottingham is 11g. I made a starter with dry yeast for my second batch, and like you said it took off quickly, but I have only tasted it once (it's been in the bottle for about 4 weeks). It tasted a little green but without any horrible aftertaste.

How was the taste of the beer you made with a dry yeast starter? The thread I linked basically said it'll mess with the taste.

Conditioning:

Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2260 Times on 1969 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

When the bottles were ready & fridged a week or two,they tasted good. No weird flavors or aromas. It didn't mess with the taste at all,imo.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Enoch52
Recipes 

Good, I like making starters. It makes me feel like an alchemist with my flask and stir plate.

Conditioning:

Quick Reply