Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast starter.. To decant, or not to decant?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
superfknmario
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Yeast starter.. To decant, or not to decant?

I made a 2 liter starter, so I'm thinking that I should decant. However, I'm mAking a Belgian beer and was thinking I could just up the other ingredients. I made it on Friday night EST.. If I cold crash, when should I do it? If not, do u guys think it will hurt the final product if I don't decant?

S

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1001 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 2071

Decanting is easy, just put it in the fridge overnight. I always decant starters, fwiw, I don't want the 'beer' from the starter in my real beer.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Add more ingredients to the Belgian beer? If you increase the fermentables, just make sure you have enough yeast to cover the increased OG. I'd use mrmalty.com or yeastcalc.com to calculate the starter volume.

Regarding your decanting question, if you were to decant, it's best to cold crash for a day or two, and then carefully decant most of the liquid. There are different opnions on decanting, some don't want the plain tasting, possibly oxidized starter wort going into their finished beer. Others don't feel like it makes a big deal and don't want to waste any of the yeast that's in suspension. Personally, I decant.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
OlieNH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Like @papper said, decanting the starter is usually easy if you have are using a moderately floculant yeast. Overnight in the fridge causes the yeast to settle out. The morning of your brew day you can pull it out of the fridge to warm up. When it is time to pitch, carefully decant the yeast and swirl it up before pitching into the wort.

On Deck: 15 gallons of Robust Porter
On Deck: Rye IPA
Primary: Belgian Golden Strong with Chimay Strain
Primary 2: Belgian Golden Strong with Abbey Ale Strain
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Keg 2: More Apfelwien
Keg 2: Battle Axe Double IPA
Keg 3: Exctract Pale Ale
Keg 4:
Keg 5:
Keg 6:
Bourbon Barrel: Breakfast Stout

Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlieNH View Post
Like @papper said, decanting the starter is usually easy if you have are using a moderately floculant yeast. Overnight in the fridge causes the yeast to settle out. The morning of your brew day you can pull it out of the fridge to warm up. When it is time to pitch, carefully decant the yeast and swirl it up before pitching into the wort.
Or even easier, decant while cold then warm up. Takes less time to warm.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
superfknmario
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlieNH
Assuming I cold crash, wouldn't it be better to dump out the liquid while it is still cold? Wouldn't the yeast start to wake up as the temp increases and therefore lose yeast when I dump the liquid?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4910 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfknmario View Post
Assuming I cold crash, wouldn't it be better to dump out the liquid while it is still cold? Wouldn't the yeast start to wake up as the temp increases and therefore lose yeast when I dump the liquid?
Yes, maybe a little. I decant while still cold, all but a tiny bit of beer on top. When it's time to pitch, I swirl and pour.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
superfknmario
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

And that is the plan for now. Chill, decant, then swirl and pour. Now, is there a cut off time? Like I said, I made the starter on Friday night, so when should I put it in the fridge? Once in the fridge, how long before I take it out?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfknmario View Post
And that is the plan for now. Chill, decant, then swirl and pour. Now, is there a cut off time? Like I said, I made the starter on Friday night, so when should I put it in the fridge? Once in the fridge, how long before I take it out?
I use a stir plate, so I normally put it in the fridge after ~18-24 hours. Without I might let it go 24-36 hours. Put in the fridge at least overnight. It can go a week or two in the fridge with minimal loss in viability. I like to do mine a week ahead of time so I know I have my yeast ready to go.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
superfknmario
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I still see A LOT of activity in my starter.. Given that I started on Friday, should I wait to see no activity or should I pop it in the fridge regardless?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS