New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Quyzi
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Yeast starter

I'm going to be brewing an IPA this weekend and given what occurred (and the noob worrying) from my last batch taking ages to start fermenting, I thought it might be a good idea to make a starter this time. I'm going to be brewing the Brewers Best Australian IPA. I've been reading into starters and it's been said to use 1/2 cup DME and 2 cups of water and boil it for 10 minutes, then pitch the yeast and let it sit until you need it.

Is it a bad idea for me to take 1/2 cup of the DME from the kit and use it for the starter, or should I go to my LHBS and get some DME to use specifically for it? Also, I watched a video of someone making a starter and they specifically said to not use a bubbler on it, just keep some aluminum foil over it. This doesn't seem like the best idea?

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quyzi View Post
I'm going to be brewing an IPA this weekend and given what occurred (and the noob worrying) from my last batch taking ages to start fermenting, I thought it might be a good idea to make a starter this time. I'm going to be brewing the Brewers Best Australian IPA. I've been reading into starters and it's been said to use 1/2 cup DME and 2 cups of water and boil it for 10 minutes, then pitch the yeast and let it sit until you need it.

Is it a bad idea for me to take 1/2 cup of the DME from the kit and use it for the starter, or should I go to my LHBS and get some DME to use specifically for it? Also, I watched a video of someone making a starter and they specifically said to not use a bubbler on it, just keep some aluminum foil over it. This doesn't seem like the best idea?

Thank you!
Always make a starter with liquid yeast, you'll be happier. Be sure to cool the starter before you pitch!

I would personally buy extra DME for the starter (and keep it around for future batches), but in a pinch, I guess you could use it from your kit.

The video was right - no need to fool with an airlock. Sanitized aluminum foil is fine (it's all I ever use). Of course, I do my starters in empty sweet tea juge, so the airlock wouldn't fit, anyway.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 357

If by "sachet" they mean dry yeast, you don't need a starter, just re-hydrate.

Quote:
Ingredients

FERMENTABLES
3.3 lb. Light LME
2.5 lb. Amber DME
SPECIALTY GRAINS
1 lb. Caramel 30L
8 oz. Munich 10L
8 oz. Carapils®

HOPS
1 oz. Cascade Bittering
3 oz. Galaxy
1 oz. Flavoring
2 oz. Aroma

YEAST
1 Sachet

Old 06-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Quyzi

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
If by "sachet" they mean dry yeast, you don't need a starter, just re-hydrate.
I know you don't need a starter with dry yeast, but if it won't hurt anything or it could help out, why not?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I use dry yeast exclusively now for a few reasons. For one I live in the south and have no LHBS so I order everything online, the liquid yeast doesn't do well in a UPS truck when it's 115 outside, I learned the hard way. Dry yeast is a bit cheaper and stores well.

What I do, is a few hours before I get ready to pitch the yeast I boil about a 1/4 cup of DME in 2 cups of water, let it cool then pitch the yeast into it. This helps rehydrate the yeast and after an hour or 2 there is even a little fermentation activity. I put this mixture into a sanitized pickle jar or whatever I find. No airlock needed but I leave the lid on loose or cover with foil.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quyzi View Post
I know you don't need a starter with dry yeast, but if it won't hurt anything or it could help out, why not?
If the recipe is dry yeast, don't bother. Dry yeast packs come with WAY more yeast than liquid vials/smack packs contain.

The point of a starter is to boost your liquid yeast cell count, which just isn't necessary with dry.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by estricklin View Post
I use dry yeast exclusively now . . . What I do, is a few hours before I get ready to pitch the yeast I boil about a 1/4 cup of DME in 2 cups of water, let it cool then pitch the yeast into it. This helps rehydrate the yeast . . .
I suggest you research dry yeast rehydration, how it's done, how it works and why it works.

Here's a start.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
krenshaw

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
I suggest you research dry yeast rehydration, how it's done, how it works and why it works.

Here's a start.
good read! i've always rehydrated mine before, but never knew the reason, only because that's what i was told to do the first time i tried it

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. Apfelwein, The Fox Says... Yum, Shot in the Dark
Keg 1: The Fox Says... Yum | Keg 2: Shot in the Dark | Keg 3: Second Breakfast Oatmeal Stout Clone
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
iskuse
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeast need oxygen, don't use an airlock! it will prevent oxygen from getting in

Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Quyzi

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Here's a start.
Very good read. I'll make sure I do this as I'm brewing this weekend. Thank you

Quick Reply