The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
beerisgood42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default yeast starter

When brewing a big beer, is it okay to rehydrate multiple packs of dry yeast instead of using a yeast starter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts

If you plug your OG into Mr Malty you will get a recommended pitching rate both with and without a starter. You either buy or breed your yeasties.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
beng
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I don't use a yeast starter, I usually use 2 packs of us-05 for anything above 1.060ish. I personally don't re-hydrate them, just sprinkle em in.

More details would help with your situation....

Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes. Also keep in mind that not rehydrating can kill up to 50% of the yeast (yes I know this is a controversial issue but skipping the rehydrating step increases risk unnecessarily).

Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
graybeard
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Yes. Also keep in mind that not rehydrating can kill up to 50% of the yeast (yes I know this is a controversial issue but skipping the rehydrating step increases risk unnecessarily).
This is handy to know.

When I was starting out brewing, lo, these many months ago, I used mostly packaged kits from my LHBS. All those that I can remember said to sprinkle the dry yeast over the surface of the cooled wort in the fermenter. I've just done it this way and never given a second thought, as I've had decent results.

I've known about rehydrating, but never saw the point, since the cell counts in dry packages are often twice as high as in the smack-packs.

In the course of improving my practice of the craft, I've been reading recently about yeast handling and using proper pitching rates, etc., but I can't recall seeing a reference to the potential risks of not rehydrating.

Since rehydrating is minimal hassle, and the cell count risk is so extreme, I think I'll be rehydrating from now on, any time I'm using dry. (I've moved on to washed yeast cakes for most of my brewing, but this is a handy nugget to keep in mind when I do use dry.)

Thanks.
Patrick (graybeard)

Old 02-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
spokaniac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the AHS kit that I hope to brew this weekend. It has a vial of WLP013 that came with it that I put in the fridge as soon as I got it, about 2 weeks ago. Should I make a starter or is it safe to just pitch the vial straight into the fermenter? Its the extract kit with a target OG of 1.056

Primary: MT
Secondary: MT
Bottled and disappearing: Pale Ale/BM clone/Dbl Choc stout
Kegged: BM clone/double chocolate stout
On Deck: Hefe

Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Google Mr Malty yeast pitch calc and plug in all the numbers to see if that one vial will be enough or if a starter is needed. That thing is a life saver along with all other brewing software/calculators. Use 'em and abuse 'em!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood42 View Post
When brewing a big beer, is it okay to rehydrate multiple packs of dry yeast instead of using a yeast starter?
If using dry yeast, you won't make a starter. You would just use another packet of yeast. Use Mr Malty. It will tell you exactly how many packets to use. Even with a big beer, 11 grams of dry yeast is usually good.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokaniac View Post
I have the AHS kit that I hope to brew this weekend. It has a vial of WLP013 that came with it that I put in the fridge as soon as I got it, about 2 weeks ago. Should I make a starter or is it safe to just pitch the vial straight into the fermenter? Its the extract kit with a target OG of 1.056
When using liquid yeast, it is always a good idea to make a starter for most beers. Again go to Mr Malty link above. You will need to plug in the production date as this might change how big of a starter you make.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Quick Reply