Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
loxnar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast starter

How long is too long to wait before pitching a starter? im assuming as long as 2 months or so....i wanna do my first starter tonight and I am going out of town this weekend so instead of brewing friday and then leaving my newly brewed beer completely unmonitored for the first two days i think i wanna brew on monday. im assuming my yeast will be good as long as i throw it in the fridge on friday

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

The starter needs 24 hours for the yeast to grow. It's fully finished after 48 hours. After that it should really be stored in the fridge. With nothing to eat, the yeast will slowly start to die. I'd say anything past 7-10 days and you should be making a new starter.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
loxnar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so besides increasing yeast cells what is the advantage to a starter if you make one then chill it in the fridge over night to have the yeast cells drop...wouldnt this practically be the same thing as pitching right out of the vial but just with more cells?

i could see if you didnt refrigerate it that the yeast would be in full motion but if you put in the fridge doesnt that leave back at square 1 but with just more cells?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxnar View Post
so besides increasing yeast cells what is the advantage to a starter if you make one then chill it in the fridge over night to have the yeast cells drop...wouldnt this practically be the same thing as pitching right out of the vial but just with more cells?

i could see if you didnt refrigerate it that the yeast would be in full motion but if you put in the fridge doesnt that leave back at square 1 but with just more cells?
Yes, that's pretty much the point of a starter. The vials (and smack packs) just don't have adequate cell counts, even though they say "pitchable" on them. So, if you make a starter and increase the cell count, they do become pitchable.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Not only do you have more cells but if you have very healthy cells at the end of the starter. The reason to make a starter is to provide enough (number of cells) healthy yeast to properly ferment your beer.

As an alternative your could buy several packs of yeast and avoid the starters. Most people do the starter because it's easy and way cheaper then buying multiple tubes of yeast.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxnar View Post
i think i wanna brew on monday. im assuming my yeast will be good as long as i throw it in the fridge on friday
Many observers suggest pitching at "high krausen." I think you have two options here: (1) delay making your starter as late as you can, make a small starter, then pitch it all into your beer as soon as you can upon your return which should be close to coinciding with high krausen (2) make a bigger starter immediately, go away as planned, wait for it to ferment out which could be largely completed by the start of next week depending on the yeast strain, decant the beer off of it, and pitch the yeast cake that settles out into your new batch.

Be sure to add yeast nutrient to your starter if you have some.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
tamoore
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For my second batch, I made a yeast starter with 600ml of water, and 1/2 cup DME. It was almost exactly 36 hours from pitching the yeast in the stater to pitching the yeast in the fermenter.

Reading some threads on the topic, it seems I might have done a few things wrong.

For next time, should I use more water (1L), more DME (1 cup) and a yeast nutrient? What do you recommend as a nutrient?

I think I had about a 10 hour lag time or so with this batch @63 degrees. My first brew, which was dry yeast, started up in about 6 hours at 70 degrees.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamoore View Post
For my second batch, I made a yeast starter with 600ml of water, and 1/2 cup DME. It was almost exactly 36 hours from pitching the yeast in the stater to pitching the yeast in the fermenter.

Reading some threads on the topic, it seems I might have done a few things wrong.

For next time, should I use more water (1L), more DME (1 cup) and a yeast nutrient? What do you recommend as a nutrient?

I think I had about a 10 hour lag time or so with this batch @63 degrees. My first brew, which was dry yeast, started up in about 6 hours at 70 degrees.
I would recommend measuring DME by weight (ounces) instead of by volume (cups). It is much, much, much more accurate. After that, 4 ounces of DME per 1L of starter (after boil) always gets me a gravity of 1.040.

A lot of people don't like it when I say they should go buy a scale. Scales are cheap. I really don't understand the aversion. You don't need a fancy digital one.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
tamoore
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele View Post
I would recommend measuring DME by weight (ounces) instead of by volume (cups). It is much, much, much more accurate. After that, 4 ounces of DME per 1L of starter (after boil) always gets me a gravity of 1.040.

A lot of people don't like it when I say they should go buy a scale. Scales are cheap. I really don't understand the aversion. You don't need a fancy digital one.
I have a scale. I'll use it next time. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

By the way, the amount of starter you need depends on the viability of your yeast, the type of yeast (ale or lager), the size of your batch of beer, the original gravity of your beer, and how much/often you are aerating the starter. The Mr. Malty Pitching Rate Calculator has never let me down.

It seems that the minimum starter it recommends, though, is 1L.

Quick Reply