Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast sort of storage question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
jesutton3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast sort of storage question

I ordered all my grain bill and yeast from an online retailer earlier this week and it is scheduled to be delivered Friday. The yeast is a WYeast smack pack. The kicker is I will be out of town Thursday night until Sunday morning. The temps for Friday and Saturday are predicted to be 90-92. The package will be sitting under a covered carport/patio type area and will not be in direct sun. Will I have a dead yeast pack when I get home Sunday or should things be OK?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
albannach
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

(cringes), It's iffy. I don't think the yeast will be totally dead but they'll be hurtin IMO. Definitely plan on putting them in a starter so they can replenish their numbers. I personally would start with a 500mL starter and step it up to 2-3 liters at high krausen.

Could you get a neighbor to bring it inside their house so it would at least be at room temp?

Old 07-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albannach View Post

Could you get a neighbor to bring it inside their house so it would at least be at room temp?
+1 This would be a very good time to either (a) get friendly with a neighbor or (b) see if your OHBS could delay your shipment till next week (if it won't delay your brew day).

Quick Reply