Yeast Smack pack arrived smacked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unakabrew

Reaction score
My wife got me a couple of extract kits for my birthday. They've been sitting in the basement for a couple of weeks (65 degrees). One of the yeast packs was already swelled when I opened the kit, package date is 4/14/08. Is it safe to use?

I wouldn't recommend it. You don't know how long it's been that way. Is the other yeast package the same or similar? You could make a starter, split it and refrigerate the other half until you need it or make two batches in one day.

If you have a homebrew shop close by, you could pick up anothe smack pack if you want to go that route.

Thanks guys for the prompt replies.

The other yeast packet is not swelled but it was not refrigerated either - just kept in the cool basement. Today is supposed to be brew day. NB is where the kits came from and I think they're closed for the holiday.

I made a stirplate a while back so I could try to make a starter but the two yeast types are different (London ESB and American)(American is the swelled one). One kit is Cream Ale and the other is an Extra Special Bitter.

What do y'all think? Is brew-day screwed?

Like Coastarine said, go ahead and make a starter with it to be safe but if it sat in the mid 60s for 2 weeks the yeast should still be good.
Let us know.

Back