Yeast slurry at room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smeltz

Reaction score
I know that the slurry is supposed to be in fridge, but I don't have one, and the slurry has been sitting at room temp. Is it possible to wash and reuse the yeast after it's been sitting in the carboys for a week at room temp?

Thanks!!

I know that the slurry is supposed to be in fridge, but I don't have one, and the slurry has been sitting at room temp. Is it possible to wash and reuse the yeast after it's been sitting in the carboys for a week at room temp?

Thanks!!

Anything is possible but not ideal...i would not

Eh... you're probably OK if you stuck the airlock back on after racking the beer out, but, what's a new packet or vial of yeast, three bucks, maybe five? I wouldn't risk my $40-$60 batch of beer an a brew day's worth of effort.

Next time, pour the slurry off into a sanitized jar right after you rack the beer off; if you don't have room in your fridge for a quart mason jar, drink a beer or two and try again. :)

Eh... you're probably OK if you stuck the airlock back on after racking the beer out, but, what's a new packet or vial of yeast, three bucks, maybe five? I wouldn't risk my $40-$60 batch of beer an a brew day's worth of effort.

Next time, pour the slurry off into a sanitized jar right after you rack the beer off; if you don't have room in your fridge for a quart mason jar, drink a beer or two and try again. :)

^^^this^^^

Sounds good. Looks like I'll just have to pick up a couple packets of yeast then, instead of taking the risk of throwing away bad beer later. It'll only be my 4th batch of AG and the first two were almost undrinkable.

Thanks!

It'll only be my 4th batch of AG and the first two were almost undrinkable.

Whoa, backup cowboy, let's talk about this for a second.

What do you mean they were "undrinkable?" Were they under/overcarbed? Did they have a hot alcohol taste, like nail polish remover? Were they sour? Did they have a strong banana flavour, or cooked corn? Wet cardboard? If you provide some more details, we can help you diagnose the problem.

Recipes? Process? Temperatures? The more detail you provide, the more specific advice we can provide.

Whoa, backup cowboy, let's talk about this for a second.

What do you mean they were "undrinkable?" Were they under/overcarbed? Did they have a hot alcohol taste, like nail polish remover? Were they sour? Did they have a strong banana flavour, or cooked corn? Wet cardboard? If you provide some more details, we can help you diagnose the problem.

Recipes? Process? Temperatures? The more detail you provide, the more specific advice we can provide.

That'd be awesome! I'll fill in the details tmr. The last batch def had a nail polish, astringent taste to it...

Nail polish/acetone flavour is a telltale sign that you've fermented too warm. Did you employ any kind of temperature control? What was the temperature of the room your fermenter was in? What kind of yeast did you use? How did you chill the wort after boiling, and how cool was it when you pitched the yeast? Did you use dry or liquid yeast? If dry, did you rehydrate or just pitch? If you used liquid, did you make a starter? If so, how big? How did you aerate the wort?

Next time, get funnel and pour the slurey into a beer bottle, cap it and put it in the fridge. You don't need the full cake to make a starter. Pitching at full krausen is healthier anyway.

Back