Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast/Sediment on side of bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
CrazyP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_flagg View Post
I did that with one of the Grolsch bottles. I turned the bottle on its side and rolled it to let the CO2 pocket touch all angles of the glass and it cleared it off. Man, some of that sediment was scary looking, but it sure is drinkable! I'm still of the opinion that it was the gelatin. You're not supposed to cook the gelatin, just heat it gently, so I'm pretty sure it just doesn't go into solution as easily...
I've only bottled two batches so far so my experience is limited. But I saw this phenomenon occurring with my second batch. I twisted the bottles rapidly back and forth to dislodge the yeast/sediment and re-suspend it in the beer. After about 24 hours, all of the sediment had fallen to the bottom and the beer was quite clear when poured. I used only Irish Moss, though, no gelatin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #22
otisman37
Recipes 

I had this phenomenon on my latest batch.. first time i've ever noticed it in about 15 years of brewing! But, I did do something different this time, which I thought may be something to do with it - I used a sanitizer on the bottles that I never used before... a hydrogen peroxide and silver ion solution - supposedly no rinse required - so I just let them drip dry. Previously I had always soaked with Sodium Percarbonate and rinsed them afterwards. I would be interested to hear if others used a similar product.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I really think its some sort of static electricity or something like that. After bottling a placed all my beer in a big plastic tote. Hoping that if there was a bottle bomb it would contain some of the mess. Two weeks in and all the outside bottles had the side sediment on the side that was close to plastic.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #24
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Give each bottle a sharp have turn after one week in conditioning and you will correct your problem. I have been doing that for many years.

Quick Reply