Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast/Sediment on side of bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
barracudamagoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast/Sediment on side of bottle

I noticed when looking at my bottles today that there is a little bit of sediment on the sides of the bottle. All the glass ones seem to have this, (the plastic PET bottles do not) and if I gave them a little rock/shake and some of it seemed to drop out. Anybody else notice this or experience it? I stored them in a box with paper inbetween the bottles, and wonder if it built up some static causing it to stick to the side of the bottle (although the PET bottles are in the same box and they don't have it???). Not worried, just curious if anyone has noticed this before.

Primary 1: Lime Wine
Primary 2: Strawberry Wine
Bottled 11/5/09: Wheat beer
Bottled 7/28/09: Palilalia IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
He simply can't handle our awesomeness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You mean at the top? Yeah that is a bottle krausen (just like in your fermentor) in some beers, depending on what you prime with it forms and falls (a bottle is a mini fermentation shamber during carbonation after all.)

If it's on the "side" are you laying your bottles down?

Maybe the paper is casuing some funky static on the bottles...but your beer will be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i've had the side stuff on each batch i've bottled. i've come to realize it means it's not ready yet. it will settle out and once mine did, the beer was great.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 07-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
barracudamagoo
Recipes 

Revvy: No it is on the side about 1/2 way down; and no, they are standing upright (smart@ss ). Although I agree it could be some weird static thing. I'm guessing Android might be right, that it needs to sit a little longer. I plan on giving them till next week, it is just something I noticed.

Quote:

Old 07-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
WilliamstonBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
i've had the side stuff on each batch i've bottled. i've come to realize it means it's not ready yet. it will settle out and once mine did, the beer was great.
Exactly the same situation here. I've had the same sediment on the side of the fermenter a number of times too.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
Revvy: No it is on the side about 1/2 way down; and no, they are standing upright (smart@ss ). Although I agree it could be some weird static thing. I'm guessing Android might be right, that it needs to sit a little longer. I plan on giving them till next week, it is just something I noticed.
I don't know why you think I'm a smart ass for asking if you are laying your bottles on their side...um, you may not realize it, but you would not be the first person on here who thought that was the way to store their bottles....(after all wine is best stored that way dontja know.)

We on here who help new brewers have seen it all...so I had to ask...no offense meant..but when you have tried to help someone who started an is my beer ruined thread, who, because they read a discussion on olive oil oxygentation (don't bother) thought that if one drop (which was the theory) worked, then and entire bottle in their batch would work even better...So when someone says there is sediment on the side of the bottle, where sediment normally is on the bottom of the bottle, you have to make sure they were not laying them on their side....

As any tech support person if he can relate to where I'm at about human idiocy, and you should understand why I wan't being a smart ass....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
barracudamagoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I don't know why you think I'm a smart ass for asking if you are laying your bottles on their side...um, you may not realize it, but you would not be the first person on here who thought that was the way to store their bottles....(after all wine is best stored that way dontja know.)

We on here who help new brewers have seen it all...so I had to ask...no offense meant..but when you have tried to help someone who started an is my beer ruined thread, who, because they read a discussion on olive oil oxygentation (don't bother) thought that if one drop (which was the theory) worked, then and entire bottle in their batch would work even better...So when someone says there is sediment on the side of the bottle, where sediment normally is on the bottom of the bottle, you have to make sure they were not laying them on their side....

As any tech support person if he can relate to where I'm at about human idiocy, and you should understand why I wan't being a smart ass....
Revvy, you are a scholar and a gentleman. I'm sorry; my intent was to be sarcastic; however, it was not received that way. You have gone out of your way when giving advice, much like you where doing here, and it is uncalled for that I was not polite in return. You are correct, human idiocy knows no bounds, especially with new brewers, and often the simplest answer is the correct answer. I apologize for my comment, and am appreciative of your help.

Quote:

Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 AM   #8
Livendadream
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I also have had yeast/sediment clinging to the side of some of my bottles. They too have been stored upright. I have wondered what could have caused this. It does not happen to every batch or even to every bottle, it is kind of random. Eventually with time the sediment seems to drop out. I did notice after I inspected the suspect bottles they did not seem have a perfect shape like the others, maybe a little warped not perfectly round. Maybe those bottles are defects, or just cheaper ones. I recycle old craft/micro bottles (brown kind) it never has happened with the Grolsch flip-top bottles, weird . Does someone know the answer?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
StoutFan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Anyway, I have had the same thing, I even had a yeast "ring" about 2" up from the base off the bottle. I gave them a miniature carboy swirl and it all fell into suspension. This might help your problem. Took a little longer to settlee all down, but made me feel better.

Gambrinous - to be full of beer

Old 07-06-2009, 05:03 AM   #10
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I’m wondering if it’s a flocculation issue. Either you are using a flocculent like kaolin, sparkaloid, isinglass, or Irish moss and enough particles haven’t gathered up to overcome buoyancy and settle.

Or it’s a sign your using a low flocculating yeast and you should consider using one of the above to help it settle out faster.

If I lived near a beach, I'd drink beer and look at the beach every day.

Quick Reply