*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast Sediment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
wherestheyeast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've heard that you always want to pour homebrew (or any bottle conditioned beer). The yeast sediment isn't bad to consume, but if it gets resuspended in the beer it will affect the flavor (and not in a good way).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefrog255 View Post
...I just feel that someone is going to see that sediment on the bottom of my bottles and be turned off...
Great opportunity to explain the health benefits of yeast and the natural process you use. All about marketing.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
BrewScout
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check out www.sedexbrewing.com. It its a really cool product that I saw reviewed on Craig tube. They are expensive but if you really want no sediment in your bottles then it is the only way without kegging equipment.

Conserve water, Drink beer!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Great opportunity to explain the health benefits of yeast and the natural process you use. All about marketing.
+1, bottled beer with yeast sediment reflects the natural and hand crafted process that we use. It's common in many commercial beers as well. Many Belgian beers and Sierra Nevada for instance still use this process. I'd explain the process to your buddies. Other than that, you can get into kegging, force carbonate the beer within the keg using CO2 from a tank, and bottle using a counter pressure bottle filler.

I enjoy beers with a little sediment in the bottom as they tend to be higher quality beers. Many people pour the beer into a glass in a way that leaves the sediment behind in the bottom of the bottle. I know what you're saying though, our uncouth friends find using a glass and the yeast sediment different from their familiar, mass marketed, swill.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #15
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewScout View Post
Check out www.sedexbrewing.com. It its a really cool product that I saw reviewed on Craig tube. They are expensive but if you really want no sediment in your bottles then it is the only way without kegging equipment.
Lol, seems interesting.

Yeah the sediment doesn't bother me and all of my beers have turned out well. Once I fridge it sticks to the bottom pretty well. Its more of aesthics thing I guess. Until I get complaints I won't change anything since its common.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #16
BrewScout
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefrog255

Lol, seems interesting.

Yeah the sediment doesn't bother me and all of my beers have turned out well. Once I fridge it sticks to the bottom pretty well. Its more of aesthics thing I guess. Until I get complaints I won't change anything since its common.
The only way I can see me buying any if these would be if I wanted to be able to drink out of the bottles. But you have to admit, it is a really cool concept!

Conserve water, Drink beer!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
PanzerBanana
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually put my beer in secondary for about a week. Enough yeast haas settled out by then that not too much ends up in the bottling bucket. And the bit that builds up int the bottle is a thin film rather than a layer.

I'm not concerned with pretty beer but its nice to not have any more leftovers than bottle conditioned pro craft brews.

Quick Reply