Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast recycling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
cookmysock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast recycling

Did my first yeast re-use yesterday.

Took a very simple approach. When I finished bottling from the primary, I simply poured the yeast, etc in the bottom of the fermenter into a sterilised plastic juice bottle. Straight to the fridge. Probably had about one litre of yeast, trub, etc

Next day, made a Maris Otter / fuggles smash brew. Used about 2 cups of the wort and thoroughly mixed into the bottled yeast and left at room temperature (14 deg C - cold here in Sydney at the moment..) for 3 hours

Pitched the full amount of recovered yeast at about 23 deg C

Within one hour the fermenter was going mad. I have never seen such a quick start to fermentation and the airlock was lucky to have any water left in it! A huge amount of krausen as well.

I used a Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale by the way.

The reesults have been effective so far. Is this an okay way to re-use yeast? How many brews will I get out of it? I usually brew 14 litres per batch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you have good sanitation you can essentially use the same strain of yeast inevitably. In practice most brewers replace their yeast every few brews. I have gone as many as 7 or eight brews before I lost confidence in the health and sanitation of my yeast.

meh.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Perfectly acceptable. Re-using it that quickly after you harvested it means you don't even need to make a starter. If it was a week or two later, I would then make a starter.

Tip: You can take that yeast cake from the fermenter, pour it into a large container, shake, then wait 20 minutes...pour off just the top-most liquid and split it into 4 containers. Each one represents enough yeast for a batch, generally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply