Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
jmcvay131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yeast question

What would happen say if I mixed my Aztec beers yeast with my Scottish ale yeast. And put it in some other beer?

Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
The_Cleveland_Brew_Shop
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ferment. ha. Other than that it probably has not been done so let us know!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

There are really no horrible consequences to mixing the yeasts. No real great benefits either, though.

You will get some % of the characteristics of each yeast, however, it is far from predictable without some serious research.

Some yeast strains coexist in a fermantation just fine, while other yeasts will actually eat other yeast strains in a fermentation, so without some serious research, it's hard to tell which of those strains will be the dominant strain and what character from each you are exactly going to get.

Also, I don't know the optimum fermentation temps of the Aztec yeast, but if it does not practically allign with the optimum fermentation temps of the Scottish yeast, you'll have to kinda average them out, which may or may not be advantageous depending on the characteristics of each yeast at various temps. For example, you couldn't mix a lager yeast with a Saison yeast at the same fermentation temp without stressing one of the two and encouraging off flavors, because their optimum temp ranges don't intersect.

All in all, I wouldn't mix yeasts unless you have a good reason for doing so, but also, in the end, if you HAVE to mix yeasts, it's still going to make beer, it's just a bit less controlled than it should be.

So why are you mixing yeasts?

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

The_Cleveland_Brew_Shop Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
jmcvay131
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well I'm not mixing them I was just curious to as what would happen you know if it would make some wild concoction or something I don't even know how to collect or make yeast yet lol so I won't be doing it right this second. Till I understand it a little more.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The beauty if homebrewing is the ability to experiment. Try it. You may end up creating a brew that is out of this world tasty.

Quick Reply