Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
davebrew66
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast question

Hello all.

Just bottled my 2nd batch. Brewers Best American Light. Yeah, I know, why brew a light beer? To satisfy my SWMBO's taste, thus allowing me to continue brewing!

Ok, my question. First batch, Coopers IPA (not very tasty) had about 1/2" creamy yeast on the bottom. This batch had 1.5" of firm yeast. I did let it ferment for 3 weeks vs. 2 weeks. Is the larger amount of firmer yeast a product of letting it sit for the extra week and cleaning up, or because the kit had it's own hops thus more product to settle to the bottom? Is the additional yeast a sign of a better fermentation, or just nothing at all? The amount of hops could not have mad for that much more yeast volume.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

If you didnt filter you have more settle.Or/and yeast was probably a highly flocculant type also. It makes sense also that more would settle over time.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The difference could be several things. You might have had a better hot/cold break on the second batch. The hops addition could be different or, and I think this is it, you had better yeast on the second batch that fermented and reproduced more.

Since every fermentation is different, yeast cakes are always different too.

Quick Reply