Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast for Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
SaintBenedict
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast for Imperial Stout

Hi,

I am brewing 2.5 gallon batch of an imperial stout which, according to the recipe, should yield an ABV of around 10% (though, with my efficiency, I'd be happy with 8% or so).

The original recipe, adapted from a Brooklyn Brew Shop recipe, calls for Safbrew T-58. However, after reading more about some of the potential fruity esters often associated with this yeast, I am considering using Safale US-05. Does this sound appropriate?

Also, it was recommended by a LHB associate that I pitch two packets for the 2.5 gallons in order to ensure fermentation, especially since it will be stored at approximately 60-65 degrees. Does this sound excessive, or about right considering the potentialy low fermentation temperature? Wish I could move it out of the basement, but floor space upstairs is scarce.

Thanks for any and all help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Safale us-05 is good to 60 deg,
another option is Nottingham ale yeast, manufacturer list it to 57 deg. I have had good luck with either one.
http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/nottingham-ale-yeast

Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
scrambled
Recipes 

+1 on Notty
I am also considering a batch of Imperial Stout fermented in the basement around 62 F and I would use this yeast. I am not sure why you consider your basement to be a detriment, I consider 60-65 to be a sweet spot for most ales, but I have not tried to brew anything this big yet. I was going to pitch 2 packs of Notty for a 5 gallon batch. I also have never worried about all this yeast calculator stuff that people talk about on here, but maybe it is time to start with this type of beer. Good Luck. Maybe someone else can clear up the how much yeast to use question.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I pitched 2 packs of US-05 in my last RIS. It was an extract batch. OG roughly 1.080, FG 1.021. Fermented cleanly. Overall a great yeast for this style. 2 packs of dry yeast should provide PLENTY of cell count for anything shy of 1.090 or so.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
SaintBenedict
Recipes 

Thanks for all the feedback.

I suppose my concern about basement temperature is that it seems to be on the lower side of ideal fermentation temps for many yeast varieties, at least as far as I can tell.

Getting the boil going now…and keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 39

How about the San Diego Super Yeast? http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp090.html

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
SaintBenedict
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
How about the San Diego Super Yeast? http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp090.html
That sounds perfect. I will definitely keep my eyes open for it while building my next batch. Thanks for the heads-up!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
brewtus_
I say, lookey here son...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I used US-05 on a RIS last fall and it worked great. Frement temps were 64-66F. OG 1.099, FG 1.022. Tasted fantastic. Made a 1.5L starter 2 days before pitching.

Make a starter and you'll be fine.

The earlier you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
SaintBenedict
Recipes 

Well, I decided to go with the US-05. I had already prepared the wort, so I pitched the yeast dry. The boil went well, even though I did end up with a lower OG than I had hoped (I clocked in around 1.062, while I was shooting for 1.074). Oh well, in the end it was still a good evening. Thanks for the input. I'm now treating myself to a Lost Abbey Deliverance.

Quick Reply