Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast and high OG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 04:38 AM   #1
redpale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Yeast and high OG

I'm really a happy camper tonight- I mean , um... this morning! I just brewed a Scottish Wee Heavy using my own recipe run through Beersmith and missed my target OG by only one point. Target was 80 and measured was 81.

Just switched for this batch to a spanking brand new 4 gal kettle from a 2 gal and what a difference it makes. The kettle (I like the word kettle because it fits this one) has rounded sides, steel w/ a copper bottom and a domed lid - very 'old country' looking. I think I may have to name her

Anyway, I'm waiting for the batch to cool down in the fermentor before I pitch and was wondering about high OG beers and yeast. I'm using a dry yeast, Safale - S04, and I don't know whether I should pitch two pkgs or if just the one would be sufficient - and hold the second unless it's necessary? I've read somewhat ambiguous information on this so far.

I doubt many are still up this late so i may have to go with my gut when the time comes.... but if anyone is still up and has any thoughts I'd really appreciate them

Bottled:
MISS WELL Blonde Ale
NO MARKS Scottish Wee Heavy
Primary:
BETTER THAN Raspberry Wheat
Secondary:
TRIPEL 20 Belgian Tripel
Next: ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

With high gravity ales, more yeast is a good idea, but one packet of safale-04 can do the job, just a longer lag time. So, either way, you'll be fine.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
redpale

Recipes 

This was the first time at a larger boil volume (a little over 3 gls) for me and it took forever to cool as I don't have a chiller. Only got the yeast in around 6 AM. Just checked it and everything's bubbling away, happy as a clam. I decided to go with the one pkg and I'm holding the other in reserve.

Thanks.

Bottled:
MISS WELL Blonde Ale
NO MARKS Scottish Wee Heavy
Primary:
BETTER THAN Raspberry Wheat
Secondary:
TRIPEL 20 Belgian Tripel
Next: ?

Quick Reply