The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > yeast floculation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

You need to just give yourself more time. Trying to cram all of this stuff into the time you allotted is just going to give you headaches, late nights, and potentially bad beer.

You don't need to activate the pouch when making your starter. Make it at LEAST 24 hours in advance, 2 days is better. Then chill it an ADDITIONAL 24 hours to floc out the yeast. The day of your brewing, decant off the beer leaving the yeast on the bottom with a bit of beer to resuspend in, and leave out to warm up to pitching temps.

Don't rush it, you'll just end up with stressed yeast and not enough cells. An underpitch of poor quality yeast is a great way to start off an untasty beer.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #12
tallgirl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I agree on the "don't push things" and disagree on underpitching -- I've made starters from next to nothing, and pitched next to nothing. So long as you allow the yeast to make new yeast babies nice and easy like, you'll be fine.

That said, you're pushing things so hard and fast that it sounds like you're trying to have a disaster on your hands. I've had to dump 5 gallons of bad beer -- try to avoid my mistakes. Pouring that much beer down the drain should be a crime ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply