Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Yeast cake looks like cooked ground beef ? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/yeast-cake-looks-like-cooked-ground-beef-333604/)

WileECoyote 06-06-2012 03:53 PM

Yeast cake looks like cooked ground beef ?
 
Hello, After 2 weeks in primary I transferred my 5th brew to secondary yesterday and I was kinda surprised when I popped the lid off, it looked like some of the Krausen hadn't gone back into the beer (first time for that), I thought no big deal but was a little surprised and transferred it, Then when I got to the bottom I was even more surprised, The yeast cake looked just about like cooked ground beef (first time for that too), I just read where if you wash and re-use your yeast (I did wash and re-use yeast) it could leave the floaties on top, but I couldn't find anything about the yeast cake looking like cooked ground beef, and it really looked just like cooked ground beef, so I thought Id ask your opinion on this, have any of you seen this in your brews? :confused:

Never a dull moment brewing lol
WiliECoyote

chumprock 06-06-2012 03:56 PM

Yeasts flocculate differently. While one yeast may be as fine as sand, others may look like cottage cheese.

Here's a thread I made about the disgusting looks of WLP0026

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/wlp026-ugly-125504/

jbaysurfer 06-06-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileECoyote (Post 4148657)
Hello, After 2 weeks in primary I transferred my 5th brew to secondary yesterday and I was kinda surprised when I popped the lid off, it looked like some of the Krausen hadn't gone back into the beer (first time for that), I thought no big deal but was a little surprised and transferred it, Then when I got to the bottom I was even more surprised, The yeast cake looked just about like cooked ground beef (first time for that too), I just read where if you wash and re-use your yeast (I did wash and re-use yeast) it could leave the floaties on top, but I couldn't find anything about the yeast cake looking like cooked ground beef, and it really looked just like cooked ground beef, so I thought Id ask your opinion on this, have any of you seen this in your brews? :confused:

Never a dull moment brewing lol
WiliECoyote

No. I've never seen that. You're doing some funky stuff. There's nothing wrong with doing funky stuff, but I preferred doing basic stuff first then matriculating to the more adventurous stuff. Without the basics, you really have no experience on which to draw when you're making decisions like how to re-use grain, re-use yeast, etc.

That's my .02. Good luck with the ground beef thing.

Revvy 06-06-2012 03:57 PM

So? Fermentation is ugly. And different yeasts look different. More than likely if it looked like that on the bottom, it looked like that on the top as well.

I've seen krausens that look liker ears. Or brains.

It really doesn't matter what something looks like, only what something tastes like.

BBL_Brewer 06-06-2012 04:02 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about what the trub looked like. That's going to change depending on what kind of beer you made, your process, and what kind of yeast you used. As long as the beer tastes good, that's all that matters.

JonM 06-06-2012 04:22 PM

I've had that happen. Beers turned out fine. My working theory is that escaping CO2 "fluffs" the yeast cake up and makes it look lumpy and ripply.

WileECoyote 06-06-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbaysurfer (Post 4148675)
No. I've never seen that. You're doing some funky stuff. There's nothing wrong with doing funky stuff, but I preferred doing basic stuff first then matriculating to the more adventurous stuff. Without the basics, you really have no experience on which to draw when you're making decisions like how to re-use grain, re-use yeast, etc.

That's my .02. Good luck with the ground beef thing.

Each to his own, I learn and gain experience better/faster, by doing.

WileECoyote 06-06-2012 04:58 PM

Thanks guys, I wasn't super concerned about it, I just couldn't find any information about a yeast cake looking like this.

And I like to research (learn) everything I can about brewing, especially so, when its something that I want to try or something that's happened to one of my brews.

Revvy yes it did look like that on the top too.

Thanks again for the positive replies.
Cheers :mug:

NordeastBrewer77 06-06-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 4148759)
escaping CO2 "fluffs" the yeast cake up and makes it look lumpy and ripply.

Kinda like the surface of the moon! :ban:

jbaysurfer 06-06-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileECoyote (Post 4148828)
Each to his own, I learn and gain experience better/faster, by doing.

Whatever. I guess I missed the part of my post that said I wasn't "doing".

FTR, I'm brewing my 20th batch tonight and I started on thanksgiving. I thought that was doing, but as you said. "Each to his own".


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:58 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.