Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast Cake forming after a few days. (Question)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Tuby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Yeast Cake forming after a few days. (Question)

Hi all, New to brewing, I've only managed a couple of Kit Brews so far all of which I have been very pleased with.

I thought I'd go ahead and tackle a Lager now with the understanding that they do take some time to ferment.

Again I chose a Kit, Morgon's Blue Mountain Lager, I have read some excellent reviews on this Beer and heard that It was relatively simple to get up an running.

I used the Saflager S-23 yeast which was pitched at 22C, I then left the fermentor at 20C ( ambient temp ) to allow the yeast to get itself up and running.
After 6hrs at room temperature I placed the fermentor into the fridge which was at 15C for a day then down to 12C the following day.

Day 4 ( Today ) the temperature in my Fridge is 9C but a large yeast cake has already formed on the bottom of my fermentor. My fermentor is 30L and the yeast satchel was 11g.

There is still some intermittent , Bubbling, from the Airlock so my assumption is that it is still actively fermenting.

My question is, the yeast cake on the bottom of the fermentor, Is that a result of the temperature being to Cold ? or is this an expected result ? even after a short period of time.

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
cpl-america
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 40

lagers are bottom fermenting, meaning that instead of fermenting from the top like ales they .....

now that that's out of the way, the yeast cake is fine there is nothing wrong with what you have going on, however i personally would probably ferment at 10 or 11c. with lagers i always use liquid yeast, or a smack pack and make a starter because there is never enough in them. I have read that dry yeast lagers usually aren't good for lagers whereas ales usually have no problem.

i hope this was helpful, and good luck. hope you like the hobby.

"it's totally cheaper to brew beer, honey, i swear."

Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
cpl-america
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 40

btw two weeks should do it for the primary, if you have a secondary to cold store, that would be ideal.

"it's totally cheaper to brew beer, honey, i swear."

Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Tuby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl-america
lagers are bottom fermenting, meaning that instead of fermenting from the top like ales they .....

now that that's out of the way, the yeast cake is fine there is nothing wrong with what you have going on, however i personally would probably ferment at 10 or 11c. with lagers i always use liquid yeast, or a smack pack and make a starter because there is never enough in them. I have read that dry yeast lagers usually aren't good for lagers whereas ales usually have no problem.

i hope this was helpful, and good luck. hope you like the hobby.
Thanks very much for the info, appreciate the reply. I have read some things about liquid yeast. but the dry yeast came with this particular kit.

I thought I'd try and keep it simple until I get my head around the basic's ! I do have a secondary and will raise the temp a touch.

Cheers.

Quick Reply