Yeast and brew kettle question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoCoNoCO

Reaction score
Hey all, I can't believe that I haven't asked a question yet about brewing but it must be a testament to all the great information, articles and general knowledge that I have gleaned from this site. Thanks very much! Anyway, I'm getting ready to do my first batch of beer. It's going to be an all grain simple pale ale. I know, I know, most start with extract, but I got all the all grain stuff for cheap so I figured I'd jump right in. One thing I did purchase is a 10 gallon brew pot that has a big ball valve at the bottom for easy draining. Problem is the thing reeks of oil. I've flush it a few time with boiling water but it still stinks. My question is: anybody got suggestions on getting rid of the smell and will it impart bad odor to my wort? Secondly, I plan on using fermentis US-05 yeast. I have 11.5g packets. Will one packet be enough for a 5 gallon batch and is there a good resource or article that discusses pitch rates? Thanks in advance! :mug:

Yeah,1 packet will be fine for 5 gallons of an average gravity ale. Try soaking the pot in PBW. The dilution ratios according to what you're trying to clean are on the jar. You'll also need a filter like a piece of braided steel to hook up to the valve with a false bottom to keep the grains from getting to the valve when racking off the fresh wort.

1) For cleaning your fermenter, use PBW. Fill up the fermenter with hot water, add an appropriate amount of PBW, and let sit 10 mins. Drain through the ball valve into a bucket, and repeat a few times (you can use the solution that drained into the bucket again). Scrub with a soft cloth. Rinse well. Some will say Oxiclean works as well . . . but I think PBW is the best thing you can get. It's not that expensive, either. If you don't have a LHBS near you, it can be ordered from a LOT of online suppliers, such as midwest, morebeer, austinhomebrew, or northernbrewer.

2) 1 11.5g packet of dry yeast is good for most 5 gallon batches. Be sure to rehydreate.

Back