Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > yeast in the bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 04:01 AM   #1
blue_bmw2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default yeast in the bottle

So i took out a bottle of my first brew today to taste and see if it was fully carbonated. I poured the beer and noticed some yeast in the beer it looked like. Did i just not siphon correctly or did i do something completely wrong. I don't think it altered the taste any as it tastes good and it could use a few more days carbing but any thoughts would be good so i don't do this next time. Thanks everyone!

Bottles: Hop Head Double IPA, Cran-Apple Cider, English Pale Ale, Graham's English Cider, Wet Hoppy Dog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
spage
Recipes 

There's always a bit of yeast in an unfiltered, bottle-conditioned beer. Don't worry about it, it is absolutely normal.

Matter of fact, you will find this in almost all commercial bottle-conditioned ales, and almost all belgian brews.

If it bothers you, just leave a half-inch or so in the bottom of your bottles.

Congrats on the first brew!!!

"Drinking tripel makes me see double and act single."

Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 AM   #3
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

The yeast in the bottom of the bottle is supposed to be there. When you bottle condition you're creating another, small fermentation within the bottle.

When you pour the beer into the glass try to do it in one, fluid pour and leave a small amount in the bottle so you don't pour the yeast into the glass.

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Bottle carbed beer has to have yeast in it in order to carbonate it, it is natural....I have a lot of info about it here....Including the proper way to pour home and bottled conditioned commercial beers (becaue a huge amount of commercial beer is bottle conditioned as well)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1287636-post2.html

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-29-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
blue_bmw2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks guys. I just found the thread that Revvy linked and it really helped. Thanks for answering yet another noob question!

Bottles: Hop Head Double IPA, Cran-Apple Cider, English Pale Ale, Graham's English Cider, Wet Hoppy Dog

Quick Reply