Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast Bed "Lifter"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
ryanmx48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Bed "Lifter"?

Hi,

I've brewed 2 batches so far and I love this hobby. I can't believe how good the beer comes out! I was wondering if anybody has ever tried using something like cheese cloth or some other device to "lift" the yeast bed out of the fermenter. The idea would be to line the primary fermenter with some kind of cheese cloth or other straining device, let it ferment, and then gently lift the trub up, through, and out of the beer. My thought is that you could use your bottling bucket as your primary and bottle right out of it. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
tmurph6
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No, because by lifting the trub out you'll resuspend hop matter and yeast back into the beer. If you leave it undisturbed for 2 or 3 weeks the yeast cake will compact and you can rack right off the yeast cake without disturbing it.

If you want to take it a step further you can put gelatin finings in to further congeal the yeast cake.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

^^^ What he said. Let it settle nice and tight then rack off the cake.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
ryanmx48
Recipes 

OK, thanks guys. I'm going to look into the geletin finings. I "cold crashed" my second batch and that worked amazingly!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4777 Times on 3472 Posts
Likes Given: 952

That, and yeast are microscopic. They are much smaller than any strainer/cheesecloth thing you could dream up.

Sure, you'd maybe "catch" the big hops particles, but you'd just resuspend everything that just spend all that time clearing out. Of course, the biggest reason to not do this is to avoid oxidation.

Quick Reply