Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast activation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
jmac2472
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Yeast activation

Just wondering if someone may know this. Will my yeast still work if I didn't let it hydrate enough before adding it to the wart, it's a pale ale kit. Can it be fixed some how if I screwed up?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1855 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 1329

Nah,it'll be fine. You'll just get more lag time while it goes through the reproductive phase before visually starting to ferment.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
BeerCat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

They will be slow to start but I would let it go and see what they do.
In the future, for a 5 gallon batch, I recommend either using 2 vials of fresh liquid yeast which you have warmed up in your pocket while you brewed or making a nice big yeast starter either the night before or the morning of the brew.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Yeast has an amazing tendency to do it's job no matter what the situation. It just falls onto something with sugar and starts fermenting whatever it is. That's the whole history of beer/wine/cider/mead...It happened pretty spontaenously in ancient times, and some sick fool decided to see what the bubbling mess tasted like, and got all warm and tingly inside.

Yeast is pretty hardy stuff. I subscribe to the idea that if beer can be brewed with 45 million year old yeast harvested from amber, that existed in all manner of conditions, our modern yeast is pretty indestructable.

Everything we do, from making starters to aeration, to sanitization and temp control, we do to help it along but it's still going to do it's thing no matter what we do. It will just do it BETTER with our help...but it's not NOT going to work because we didn't.

A lot of people, like myself subscribe to the sprinkle on top of the aerated wort and leave it alone for 30 minutes method of pitching it. In other words "hydrating on wort." Fermentis used to recommend this method for Us-04 and 05 in the past. It's never failed me.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeast has an amazing tendency to do it's job no matter what the situation. It just falls onto something with sugar and starts fermenting whatever it is. That's the whole history of beer/wine/cider/mead...It happened pretty spontaenously in ancient times, and some sick fool decided to see what the bubbling mess tasted like, and got all warm and tingly inside.

Yeast is pretty hardy stuff. I subscribe to the idea that if beer can be brewed with 45 million year old yeast harvested from amber, that existed in all manner of conditions, our modern yeast is pretty indestructable.

Everything we do, from making starters to aeration, to sanitization and temp control, we do [b]to help it along[/i] but it's still going to do it's thing no matter what we do. It will just do it BETTER with our help...but it's not NOT going to work because we didn't.

A lot of people, like myself subscribe to the sprinkle on top of the aerated wort and leave it alone for 30 minutes method of pitching it. In other words "hydrating on wort." Fermentis used to recommend this method for Us-04 and 05 in the past. It's never failed me.
But but but.... I have this really cool stir plate, and a totally awsome flask, and the yeast smells so wonderful and looks so cool swirling around in my countertop. Can't Pleeeeeeeease do a starter? pleas Revvy, please???
Old 09-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
But but but.... I have this really cool stir plate, and a totally awsome flask, and the yeast smells so wonderful and looks so cool swirling around in my countertop. Can't Pleeeeeeeease do a starter? pleas Revvy, please???
Oh, ok, I guess...if you want to make BETTER beer. Like I said all the stuff we do is to improve the beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

BeerCat Likes This 
Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #7
jmac2472
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks, it fermented the next day, had no foam day 1 then boom next day 3 to 4 inches! Now day 5 almost gone, will check fg then put into secondary,

Quick Reply