Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeah for Christmas - Conical Fermenter Recommendations/Considerations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
jdlev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Yeah for Christmas - Conical Fermenter Recommendations/Considerations

So my folks (which love my beer) have decided to bump up my Christmas allotment to up to $300 smackers after I told them I wanted to a new ferementer to support my beer habit!

It looks like I'll be able to get that conical fermenter I've been dreaming about...but I don't know jack diddly about. So school me. I'm looking at one around 10gal/stainless steel. What are the advantages of going conical versus carboy (besides the lack of light hitting the beer?) and the bling factor? Any recommendations on one around 300?!

I plan on running a 1m to .5micron dual filtration system off of the fermenter to draw off the yeast and other impurities. I need to get on top of the designing phase asap!

Looks like I'll be able to do some serious upgrades to the brewing setup this holiday season! I just hope I'll be able to drink it!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My advice would be to do a little searching here on HBT. There are many threads that directly address the questions you raise. You can start with the "similar threads" listed at the bottom of this page.

Sounds like you'll have a great Christmas!

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
jdlev
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

LOL...yeah...there's only 5 threads to choose from...never noticed the similar threads listed at the bottom...these web design gurus are geniuses

Old 12-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well, I'm in much the same boat, sick and tired of carboys, dealing with secondaries, lugging glass, cleaning them, etc, and SWMBO authorized a modest conical for Xmas after I found a CL posting selling not one but TWO Blichmann 14.5g conicals for $350 each. (Alas, they sold, so I'm back to square one.)

The only conicals I've been able to find are from three sources - Morebeer's own, Blichmann, or Stout Tanks. Morebeer's are ridiculously expensive ($900, although with triclover goodness), Stout Tanks are much more reasonable, but back ordered (and they're wider than I have room for in my fermentation chamber), so it really just leaves the Blichmann. Buuuuut, while the wife was willing to spend the $350 on a 6 month old one for me, $599 plus shipping is out of the budget.

So methinks I'll be going the build-my-own plastic inductor tank route.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

I wish I could post this in smaller font (cause I've posted it a lot) but I'm really happy with my converted sanke from synergymetalworking.com. It was ~$425ish off of an ebay bid. I totally get enough yeast out of the non-conical 1.5" bottom dump- I call it a dome-ical. Been getting around 2 pints slurry per brew. Doing pressurized ferments and capturing 100% of my CO2 naturally. It's working - great. Being able to fully pressurize trumps a cone any day- believe me.

Sorry, just had to say it once again.

P.S. I too was a craigslist jockey that tried to find the ~$400 used Blichmann. Good luck with the search if this is the direction you go. They do come up but you have to act really fast- gotta be trigger finger.

Quick Reply