Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > wyest temp before smacking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
tywelcome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default wyest temp before smacking

I got a smack pack for a porter I plan on brewing this weekend.
I currently have the liquid wyeast in the fridge. I plan on smacking 1 1/2 days before brewing. The question I have, I have looked at the package, is do I bring the wyeast packet up to room temp before smacking?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I usually do at room temp...I usually do about 4-5 hours before pitching and have great results

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 10-16-2011, 02:11 AM   #3
tywelcome
Recipes 

Thank schumed.
I was planning on brewing first thing in the morning. So I will just room temp them the night before and smack em that night after temp is achieved.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 370

You don't need to smack them so many hours before. I typically take mine out of the fridge the morning of the day I am brewing. Once it's been sitting out 2 hours or so I pop the packet inside and start prepping for brewing. By the time it takes to heat water and steep the grains, then bring the kettle to a boil and do an hour boil the pack is fully swollen by pitching time.

You can also expedite the package warming. I've put it between my hands, under my armpit (lol), and even exhaled on it with warm breath to warm it up quicker. Always works well. While brewing I will also often shake the pack here and there, helps it swell quicker.

Rev.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
MrManifesto
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

if you're using a smack pack it's a good idea to use a starter, those packs are generally pretty low in cell count. don't sweat it if you're still working on your first brew or two but making a gallon starter a few days beforehand will make a difference in your next brews.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #6
tywelcome
Recipes 

Could I put out the packet the night before to warm to room temp? So I can be ready first thing.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
JWink
Recipes 

I usually just pull it out of the fridge when I first start cleaning and sanitizing everything. I let it warm up a bit while all thats going on and then smack it around the time my boil starts. I give it a good shake, per the directions on the back, a few minutes before pitching time. No problems yet.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
cigarmitch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did a starter for my Wyeast American Ale last week... I used a simple pot and container method. 1/3 cup of LME and 3 cups water. And the starter either never started, or it did it so quickly I never saw it. Anyway, I pitched it 25 hours after I did the starter and in 36 hours I had the airlock going crazy. I have recently found this video from Wyeast and am going to try no starter next brew.

Video:

Cigar Mitch
Mitch's Bitch'n Brews
Overmountain Brewers
Abingdon VA

Quick Reply