Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wyeast smack packs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
HomeBrewMatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast smack packs

Sorry I havent gotten the chance too introduce myself but im having a slight problem with my Wyeast smack pack and could use some help. Ive used the Wyeast products before but never expierenced a problem. The problem that im having is that the pack hasnt expanded yet and its been close to 12 hours. I made sure the pack was at 70 degrees before activating and usually ill see the pack expand within 8 hours. The pack has expanded slighty but not what I think is normal. The date of the pack is good im curious if anyone has had the same problem?

Your help is greatly appreicated!

Thanks,

Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewMatt
Sorry I havent gotten the chance too introduce myself but im having a slight problem with my Wyeast smack pack and could use some help. Ive used the Wyeast products before but never expierenced a problem. The problem that im having is that the pack hasnt expanded yet and its been close to 12 hours. I made sure the pack was at 70 degrees before activating and usually ill see the pack expand within 8 hours. The pack has expanded slighty but not what I think is normal. The date of the pack is good im curious if anyone has had the same problem?

Thanks,

Matt
If you are talking about the 175 ml XL starter packs, the packaging mentions that you don't have to see the pack swelling, and just because it isn't swelling doesn't mean it won't work. Just as a side, are your sure you hit it correctly and hard enough the break the inside pack?

Old 04-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #3
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The very first batch I brewed, the internal pack didn't burst, so naturally it didn't start at all. I didn't discover this until time to pitch, so all I did was cut the pack open, mixed it with the starter, and pitched it. Worked just fine!

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 04-03-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
The very first batch I brewed, the internal pack didn't burst, so naturally it didn't start at all. I didn't discover this until time to pitch, so all I did was cut the pack open, mixed it with the starter, and pitched it. Worked just fine!
Yeah, getting that little internal pouch to rupture is sorta tricky sometimes. When in doubt, just pitch the contents of the smack pack into a starter of some sort, to feed those yeast and give them a chance to get going. That is all that the activator does anyway.
Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Old 04-03-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
HomeBrewMatt
Recipes 

Thanks for the help. I think it just took some extra time for the pack to swell ive never had that problem before but I read in my recipe book that shipping conditions can cause lag time for activation. I finished my wort last night and added my yeast just now, hopefully all will turn out well. Im currently making an Imperial Stout My last batch came out amazing not to brag hehehe I made a Irish Red and everyone loved it im planning on making it again soon.

Old 04-04-2005, 04:01 AM   #6
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good deal Matt, let us know how it goes!

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 04-05-2005, 02:51 AM   #7
HomeBrewMatt
Recipes 

Ill be sure to let you know the progress.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
OBX
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewMatt

Thanks,

Matt

I just started my 1st Smack Pack from Wyeast today. It was a little difficult to find the internal packet not to mention popping it. Once you do it is easy to tell the yeast is working because you can easliy hear it if you put the pack up to your ear. It sounds a little like a bowl of cereal in milk popping and snapping.

No matter what I say - I don't know what I am doing!
OBX

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottle conditioning: Stout (1-07)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Next up: not sure

Old 04-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #9
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I had trouble finding the packet inside also. I never did get it to burst. If I tried anything more than I did, I'm afraid the whole thing would have burst open. I ended up making a starter from it and just opening the inner pack and dumping the contents into the starter. I'm not impressed with the 'smack pack' concept. Starters will be just fine for me.

Old 04-17-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
OBX
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
I had trouble finding the packet inside also. I never did get it to burst. If I tried anything more than I did, I'm afraid the whole thing would have burst open. I ended up making a starter from it and just opening the inner pack and dumping the contents into the starter. I'm not impressed with the 'smack pack' concept. Starters will be just fine for me.
After trying the hand slap I finally got the wife's poultry mallet out. After cornering the inner packet I whacked it 3-5 times, on the counter, before giving it a really good whack. That must have worked. It swelled up in 2 hrs really well. It isn't as easy as the instructions say.

No matter what I say - I don't know what I am doing!
OBX

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottle conditioning: Stout (1-07)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Next up: not sure

Quick Reply