Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wyeast Smack Pack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
talenos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast Smack Pack

So we went to the LHBS to pick up a thief. They didn't have one, but I did end up with the materials to make a hefeweizen. This is the first time I'll have two beers going at once, and I forgot to pick up another airlock so I can't really brew the new batch I got.

Being a bit overzealous and thinking I'd brew later today, I smacked the smack pack before I realized this. Will it be fine to leave until tomorrow at room temperature? What kind of time limit do I have for this thing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Pop it in the fridge and it'll slow down and put the yeast to sleep. Bring it out and they'll pick up where they left off.

If you want to go ahead and brew, you can always just cover the top of the carboy with a bit of sanitized tinfoil until you get your airlock. The CO2 will keep out the baddies.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

1) You don't need an airlock. I know this is going to fly in the face of everything you think you know about sanitation, but a sanitized piece of tinfoil will work every bit as good as an bung/airlock combo. Bacteria can't crawl, they can't climb, and they can't penetrate tinfoil. They can only ride along on wind currents, so as long as the carboy/bucket is covered by something they can't penetrate, the beer will be safe.

2) I want to say that 24 hours is the recommended time for those smack packs, but I can't be 100% sure. From the Wyeast website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyeast
I popped the inner nutrient pouch and the package swelled tight but I can’t use it right away. What do I do?

If you have activated a package but can’t use it right away, simply allow the package to swell and then refrigerate the package. The yeast will survive for extended periods if refrigerated. Before using, take the package out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature before using. It is best to use the yeast as soon as possible.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
talenos
Recipes 

Should I use some loose-fitting foil on my secondary then since there should be little activity coming out of it?

That seams easier than trying to cover the hole on my primary bucket.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you're going to brew tonight and pick up an airlock tomorrow, I'd probably just put it in the bucket and lay a sheet of sanitized foil over the top to cover the hole. That, or set up a blowoff tube if I had some tubing handy. Even though you don't HAVE to have an airlock, I'd still pick up a spare and use it.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-12-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+ one on the blow off tube...

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???

Old 04-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
treemind
Recipes 

totally fine over night...
in fact my LHBS owner Bob always suggests we smack it the night before we brew.

Quick Reply