Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wyeast Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
65chevy11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast Question

I just got my Wyeast packs the other day and the one i'm going to use really didn't swell that much. I made my yeast starter over night, there is some activity when you swirl it though. Is there a problem with this yeast because today is brew day. Also i bought it through Northern Brewer, are they pretty good on helping you out if you got a yeast pack that may have gotten damaged.

Thanx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Breck09
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The two Wyeast packs that I have used haven't swelled either. Made starters with them and they were fine. More often then not you will not see the fermentation activity in a starter. If you see a nice ring of yeast cake on the bottom then you know you are good to go.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I've had that happen before too. They barely swelled up and made a quality beer in the end. Like breck, I made a starter and all was well.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

First, From the horse's mouth.

Quote:
From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.
Secondly, Just like in the fermenter, starter fermentation isn't always dynamic...It doesn't matter one blip in your fermenter or your starter flask if the airlock bubbles or not (if you are using an airlock and not tinfoil,) or if you see a krauzen. In fact starter fermentation are some of the fastest or slowest but most importantly, the most boring fermentations out there. Usually it's done withing a few hours of yeast pitch...usually overnight when we are sleeping, and the starter looks like nothing ever happened...except for the little band at the bottom. Or it can take awhile...but either way there's often no "activity" whatsoever....

I usually run my stirplate for the first 24 hours, then shut it down, if you are spinning your starter it is really hard to get a krausen to form anyway, since it's all spinning, and there's often a head of foam on it from the movement.

All that really matters is that creamy band o yeast at the bottom.

This is a chilled sample so it's flocculated, but even with an unchilled sample you should see a band of yeast at the bottom. Here's an unchilled version

Same thing, a band.

As it is I've only ever seen two or three krausens actually on my starter (one blew off a bunch of krausen and knocked the tinfoil off the flask,) and the evidence of one on the flask at the "waterline" once. But I've never not had a starter take off.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-12-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
65chevy11
Recipes 

Thank you for the help, ya there was definitley a ring on the bottom of the flask. I never had that issue before and i just wanted to ask the pros.

Thanx

Quick Reply