Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > WTK: Best Way to Clean / Sanitize Plate Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
ultravista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default WTK: Best Way to Clean / Sanitize Plate Chiller

Without a pump .... what is the best way to clean / sanitize a plate chiller?

I will be using a hop bag (pvc thingy resting on brew kettle) and possibly a secondary straining device on the valve inlet; hopefully most of the gunk will stay in the kettle.

For those of you with plate chillers, what is your cleaning and sanitizing process?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 768 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Before I got my pump, I would gravity feed some cleaner (PBW or oxy) through the chiller. I let that sit for a while then at the sink with garden hose, flush the chiller both directions with hot water. I then used compressed air to blow the water out, flush again, blow again ect... A lot of gunk comes out with the compressed air.

Now, with a pump, I circulate cleaner through the whole system for a while but still use compressed air to blow the chiller out.

edit - sanitizer can be gravity fed through before your wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply