New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wrong hops, wrong time. Any ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
DansBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wrong hops, wrong time. Any ideas?

Ok, I'm boiling right now, Im making a winter type strong ale. The recipe has 3 hops, for bitter, flavor and finish.

the bittering are northern brew, flavor hallertau, and finish saaz. Like an idiot, I added the flavoring hops(hallertau) when I should have added the bittering(northern). I realized after 15 mins, and just threw the bittering hops in, and kept the flavoring ones in. I'll finish up as directed with the seasonal spices and the correct finishing hops at the end of the boil.
my question/worry: how much of a difference is that 15 minute hop error going to have on the final outcome? its an extract with steeping grains. How screwed am i? im boiling away as I type. I added a little time to the timer, just to make up for the error. I'm basically just continuing as i normally would.

Drinking and blogging does not mix. you strt frgeting to moeve your fingres rigth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Keep going....It may not taste exactly like you intended, but it will still be beer.

Just learn from your mistake for next time....go over your recipe before you brew and lay everytihing out in order you are going to need it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 20

How much Hallertauer went in?

The Hallertauer are not as high in alpha acids as the NB's, so they won't impart as much bitterness. If you only boil, the NB's for 45 min, instead of 60, it's conceivable that you might end up with the same IBU as a full 60 mins with just the Northern Brewer. If not, it might just be a bit bitter than the kit was conceived, which you may like anyway.

I think it will be fine. Proceed with the instructions, sans the Hallertauer addition obviously.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 11-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
DansBrew
Recipes 

Well, thanks REV, but I just realized I screwed up another step. UGH. Expensive kit too. I'll never dump beer. I just got too excited the 5 year old wanted to help! The recipe called for honey to be added after 45 mins of brewing. I added the honey after 15 mins(45 mins left, rather than 45 min elapsed.) now I'm getting nervous. I'm still gonna keep going. But what do you think after THAT error? Is it salvageable? I know as long as I put yeast in, I'm gonna have beer, lol so Im not too worried, but I'm just pissed now!

Drinking and blogging does not mix. you strt frgeting to moeve your fingres rigth.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
DansBrew
Recipes 

the northern, hallertau and saaz are all 1oz pellets

Old 11-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Neither of these mistakes will impact the flavor much. It will be a little more bitter, and Hallertauer doesn't have a powerful flavor anyway, so no big loss. The honey is there mostly to dry out the finish, honey leaves very little flavor after fermenting, so again, no big deal.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
syblue
Recipes 

I think it will not make a difference at all. The only way to notice would be to brew it again and follow the recipe but I think the difference would be very small even side by side. Relax it will taste great you made it.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
yuppiecruncher
Recipes 

It might make a difference to a beer judge, but a layman like me won't be able to tell the difference. You might have gotten some more isomerization of the bittering oils from your aroma hops and maybe got a little less from your bittering hops, but the profile shouldn't be too skewed. Rename it something else and act like you meant to do it. I guarantee people will still drink it. Then, RDWHAHB and learn from your mistakes.

Primary - Hefeweizen 1.2
Primary #2 - Empty
Bottled - Hefeweizen 1.1

Old 11-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #9
JuanMoore
SACD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3183 Times on 3091 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Adding the honey early and increasing the boil gravity may reduce the hop utilization, canceling out the bitterness from the extra hops. Either way, I agree with everyone else that it will turn out fine.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
ecojack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Either way, I agree with everyone else that it will turn out fine.
/agree

unless you really do think it's ruined...let it ferment out, bottle it, and mail it to me. I will gladly dispose of it properly for you.

Primary: Karankawa Pale Ale
Primary: Palisade Pale Ale
On Deck: AHS Summer Irish Ale & Honey Hibiscus Wit

Quick Reply