Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wow! Second Bottle Bomb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 02:01 AM   #21
NPK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

While I don't have a solution for your over carbonation, I wonder if the two bottles that blew may have had an air bubble in the glass causing a weak point. I always inspect for this and dispose probably one bottle per every 50 or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #22
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev23
I just had my first bottle bomb happen last night. I bottled about 2 weeks ago. It's a belgian saison, which calls for high carbonation, so I primed with 8 oz of DME (I arrived at that number with some online calculator I found, using I think 3 volumes of CO2). This is more than I usually use, but I wanted that saison rocky head. Now I'm afraid I overdid it and I wonder, is there anything one can do to prevent more? can I kill the yeast in the remaining bottles by putting them in a hot water bath? any other suggestions, besides just dumping them in a bucket and rebottling as described above? I've stored the rest of the bath in the fridge for now. Also, does anyone have advice about the likelihood of flip-top 750ml bottles blowing up compared to regular 12oz capped? (the one that went off last night was a 12oz)
The *really* sad thing is that I had planned to give several big bottles of this batch as gifts to friends that I see on an upcoming roadtrip, but now i'm pretty leery of that....
8oz of DME doesn't sound like too much - in fact seems on the low side depending on the beer volume and temp. Are you certain the beer was finished? Saison yeasts can/should really attenuate well. What was your FG?

I think Flip tops can hold more pressure, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #23
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Are you refrigerating long enough. Although i often throw mine in the freezer for 40 min and never had them do that though.What kind of bottles are you using? Have you checked to see if some of the others are flat or weakly carbed if so then stir your priming sugar after racking/botteling.
Did you sustain the yeast temp requirements so they dont drop out during fermentation?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #24
steev23
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
8oz of DME doesn't sound like too much - in fact seems on the low side depending on the beer volume and temp. Are you certain the beer was finished? Saison yeasts can/should really attenuate well. What was your FG?
the FG was stable at 1.006, which was below the recipe estimate of 1.011. So it seemed done...

I think I'm going to chalk it up to uneven mixing or defective/weak bottle. I usually just count on the mixing action of the beer flowing into the bottling bucket from the racking cane but I'll be more careful from now on.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
no
+1,000,000

Old 08-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #26
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

5 oz of priming sugar is a bit high for a
5 gallon batch in my experience. I usually use 3-4 oz. My guess is the beer wasn't done and it restarted at bottling due to the sugar and O2 it is introduced to. I have plenty experience with bottle bombs. My wife's cloths took the brunt of the most recent one. This is why I keg now.

Quick Reply