Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wow! Second Bottle Bomb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
Hangfire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wow! Second Bottle Bomb

So I just had my second bottle bomb from the same batch! The first bomb happened over a month ago, and all of a sudden one exploded tonight. I had figured that it was just one bad bottle, but this one completely exploded. Can't figure out why this is happening. It was definitely done fermenting (3 weeks primary 4 weeks secondary). Sanitized all bottles the same, soaking in Iodophor and then letting them dry.

Seems kind of strange that two would explode so far apart doesn't it? I figured that if nothing had exploded by now (since it's been over a month since the last one)that I'd be out of the clear. Guess not!

Decided to throw the remaining six in the fridge, just in case. Was completely freaked out just moving them from the closet to the fridge...they seem like they could do some serious damage. Anyway...thought I'd share my story!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4962 Times on 4525 Posts
Likes Given: 60

How much priming sugar did you use?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Hangfire
Recipes 

Only used 5oz of cane sugar.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
mannye
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

First, I would use corn sugar next time for priming. Cane sugar can give a funky off flavor especially if you are working with a light beer.

As for your bombs so far apart, perhaps something got in past the bottle cap? It does seem strange that it should explode so far apart in time but I seem to remember something similar happening to my first batch as well....of course that was 20 years ago, so it's hard to remember if it actually was that long between kabooms. EDIT... also you should mix the priming sugar solution very well in the bottling bucket to ensure equal distribution of the sugar to all the bottles. Another plus for corn sugar which dissolves quicker!

I suggest you drink it as fast as possible...

Reason: adding more

Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
cervezarara
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you noticed that other bottles have had too much carbonation or have you had some gushers? I had a batch that fermented 4 weeks and had a stable gravity at 1.016 over three days, so I primed to 2.5 volumes and bottled. Within 3 weeks, they were highly carbonated and it was hard to pour a glass, with mostly head filling the volume. I filled my hydrometer tube and let it settle to check the gravity, and it had dropped to 1.012! My hypothesis is that the racking, bottling, and adding priming sugar stirred up the yeast and fermentation continued to full attenuation.

I noticed that the remaining bottles had lids that were becoming rounded outward, rather than the slightly concave appearance they normally have. I poured them all back into the bottling bucket, added some sugar to let the yeast produce more CO2 to keep out oxygen, and let it attenuate down to 1.012 before rebottling. I figured what the heck- if they're oxidized, I'll toss them. But, surprisingly to me, they turned out great. I suppose it was off gassing so much CO2 that it didn't oxidize.

If your other bottles are at normal carbonation, you may not have distributed priming sugar evenly, or you may have had a bit of gunk in a couple of bottles that harbored some bacteria. If they are sanitized, but not thoroughly clean, the sanitizer cannot completely take care of debris that can stubbornly cling to the glass.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannye View Post
First, I would use corn sugar next time for priming. Cane sugar can give a funky off flavor especially if you are working with a light beer.

Another plus for corn sugar which dissolves quicker!

I use corn sugar all the time for bottling and don't have any off flavors. There is nothing wrong with it.
If you make a simple syrup with the sugar it is already dissolved. Add to beer same as corn sugar.

Back Nine Brew&Wine
Life don't get better than a beer and a pepper.
What I am brewing is now a mystery

Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts

What was the gravity when you bottled?

It does seem odd that you'd get bombs so far apart. I wonder I this most recent one is a result of an infection - it would take a while for the bacteria and/or wild yeast to take hold, but eventually you could end up with a problem. This doesn't explain the first one though. Maybe that was just coincidence and it really was just a defective bottle, or maybe uneven priming.

And I second the fact that cane sugar will not give you any off flavors, especially when only adding 5oz at bottling. I use cane sugar almost exclusively for bottling.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Hangfire
Recipes 

The interesting part about this batch was that it seemed to be super carbonated after only one week in bottles (they have now been bottled 7 weeks). Tons of bubbles, huge head...but I have noticed that unless I pour them very slowly some of them tend to foam up quite a bit.

I'm thinking that I'm not being careful enough with cleaning and sanitzing when bottling. Basically, when I finish drinking one, I rinse it out, and store them. Then when it comes time to bottle, I just soak them in Iodophor for about a minute. Do I need to scrub all the bottles?

On a side note...this is the Houblonmonstre Tripel from NB and it's amazing! Bummed that I've lost 44oz of this one!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangfire View Post
The interesting part about this batch was that it seemed to be super carbonated after only one week in bottles (they have now been bottled 7 weeks). Tons of bubbles, huge head...but I have noticed that unless I pour them very slowly some of them tend to foam up quite a bit.

I'm thinking that I'm not being careful enough with cleaning and sanitzing when bottling. Basically, when I finish drinking one, I rinse it out, and store them. Then when it comes time to bottle, I just soak them in Iodophor for about a minute. Do I need to scrub all the bottles?

On a side note...this is the Houblonmonstre Tripel from NB and it's amazing! Bummed that I've lost 44oz of this one!
I wouldn't expect an infection to take hold that quick. If the beers were overcarbed after only a week, I would look at either 1) too much priming sugar (or perhaps unevenly mixed so that some bottles got too much) or 2) the beer was not done fermenting.

You mentioned that it was "definitely done fermenting (3 weeks primary 4 weeks secondary)", but do you know for certain it was? I think it is a fair assumption that after that long, it should be done, but what was your FG?

My Beer Cellar

Old 08-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Did you upgrade the yeast to the Wyeast Belgian Ardennes? Or use the dry yeast?

Quick Reply