wow, first time doing a secondary, and awesome results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CROM

Reaction score
Just opened up a bottle from a batch that I put into a glass carboy for secondary fermentation and wow is it amazing... its crystal clear, and barely any sediment if none at all...

I can drink this from the bottle... I was worried Id need to pitch more yeast, but nope its carbed up nice...

from now on, Im only doing 2 stage fermentation....

If your good at racking...you probably don't need to secondary. Me, I suck at it. So a secondary definitely helps my brews and their clarity. I think to many people are in rush to till noobs to skip the secondary. While it probably isn't always needed....it surely helps until you get past the learning curve on racking and leaving the sediments behind. Heck....even after a year and a half it helps me.

I made clear beer before without a secondary, I used to leave alot of the beer at the bottom of the bucket just to not risk getting any more yeast in the bottles.... but I think the 2ndary really helps with getting rid of the suspended yeast, cause what I thought was clear b4 has nothing on this stuff

Just like putting the left leg of a pair of pants on first...because that's the way I do it...I put my brews in a secondary "bright tank"...because that's the way I do it. I can understand leaving it in primary, and going directly to bottling, but I like the added clarity the secondary gives the brew. And I'm absolutely NOT arguing with those who skip the secondary. Everyone does it differently. Right now, I've got a "cream ale" sitting in secondary, and it's noticeably clearer even though it's only been in there a day. YMMV

glenn514:mug:

Same for me! I generally use secondaries as well, sometimes it is necessary like for dry hopping but I like the idea of the beer sitting for another couple of weeks just to condition let alone clear up a little more. Besides, I am cheap and I don't want to have to buy more primaries so when I transfer to secondary then I have a free primary! We all know how sad fermentors look when they are empty!

The only issue is possible contamination but it certainly does not hurt to keep practicing our sanitizing techniques.

I just kegged a beer that had been in PRIMARY for 8 weeks, tasted great. Secondary is just a needless step for me

I put it in secondary, because I sometimes get lazy and don't get around to bottling. I know, you're going to say I can be lazier by leaving it in primary and not even do the racking step. It just buys me a little piece of mind. Besides, I have two 5 gal. carboys and one 6.5 gal. carboy and I like to have the 6.5 gal. free for the next brew. I like to make a little extra wort to account for loss from my inefficiency.

I put it in secondary, because I sometimes get lazy and don't get around to bottling. I know, you're going to say I can be lazier by leaving it in primary and not even do the racking step. It just buys me a little piece of mind. Besides, I have two 5 gal. carboys and one 6.5 gal. carboy and I like to have the 6.5 gal. free for the next brew. I like to make a little extra wort to account for loss from my inefficiency.

That is actually the only instance in which I do secondary, when I want one of my bigger primary fermenters to be emptied

Back