Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Would like some input on my next batch. Please.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
LostBavarianMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Would like some input on my next batch. Please.

Hello everyone,
Ok here are my plans and the recipe I have thought up.

Ok I am using a 4lb can of Montons Canadian ale
adding 1.5 pounds of Biscuit Malt steeped for 30 minutes.
also adding 1.5 pounds of Briess DME.
Would also like to add some hops in the boil but not sure which was thinking of
1-2 oz of cascade during the boil. Please let me know. Also this is my first 5 gal batch. Thanks for any replies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't know how this translates for steeping grains vs mashing, but according to this, you shouldn't use biscuit malt for more than 10% of the grain bill. If that applies to steeping, it sounds like 1.5 lbs might be too high.

You might look at a hop schedule like this with 2oz Cascade.

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I think there's some argument about whether Biscuit needs to be mashed, but even if it did, you wouldn't need any special equipment.

That looks like a decent enough recipe. You have all kinds of choices with hops. Maybe add 1/4 oz. of Cascade at the beginning of the ball to add more bitterness (balance out the added malt), and then split the extra ounce between 10 and zero. Something like that.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
LostBavarianMan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Im still really confussed about the whole mash think not sure what that means.
Do you steep them and then mash them like a bunch of potatos? and does or dosent Buiscit need to be mashed? I am totally new at this. And would truely like to learn this hobby well.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
New Brew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Couple things going on here:

1 - Your can of Munton's Canadian Ale is a pre-hopped liquid malt extract. Because it's pre-hopped, you do not want to boil it for an extended period of time, or you'll dramatically change the bitterness profile. Don't add this until near the end of your boil time, or even at flame out; it just needs to be pasteurized, and it'll be fine.

2 - "Mashing" is the process used to convert the starches in your grains into sugars, using the enzymes already present in (some of) the grain, and involves resting the grains at specific temperatures for specific lengths of time, in a specific amount of water.
Steeping is more like making a "grain tea", and the goal is not to convert starches into sugars, but just to add some of the grain flavor/color to an extract beer. It's easier to do than mashing, and requires less fussing and temperature/time control.

Either way, your (dry) grain needs to be crushed before you can steep or mash.

Grains are (very roughly) divided into 2 categories: "base malts" & "specialty grains". base malts have enzymatic power, and lots of starch left to be converted into sugar. Specialty grains do not have their own enzymatic power, but can add additional flavors and color to the beer. Specialty grains are the ones that are useful to steep. You (usually) don't want to steep base grains, because you don't want to dump raw, unconverted starches into your wort/beer.

Of course, some grains sit on the borderline, like your Biscuit; some will say it needs to be mashed, others will say no.

-NB

Old 02-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
mixedbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I feel that steeping base grains is fine, as long as the temp is not too high. Just like BIAB, you are actually mashing them. I think steep is just a word used for specialty grains because you cant actually mash them.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
LostBavarianMan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was going to steep the biscuit at 155-160 for 1/2 an hour I am looking for color and some flavor? So then because of the Muntons I should fore go the hops in the boil. If I understand correctly. How would dry hopping be for this in a secondary fermentor. Say 7 days in primary and then move to secondary and dry hop for 7 days? I know a bunch of noob questions sorry folks.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
FensterBos
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

These questions are fine, in my opinion. It is better to ask them now and do something right than just wing it and screw up your whole batch.
I would personally like to know more about what you are trying to make. Do you want it super hoppy? Easy to drink?

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Old 02-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
FensterBos
Recipes 

Too be honest, after rereading your post and this thread I think you should do a kit like this: http://www.amazon.com/True-Brew-Cana.../dp/B003SSHE8C

I am not saying that you should get this exact kit, but buying a pre-made kit will help you get an idea of the whole brewing process and everything will be packaged for you. For instance, you thought "mashing" had to do with making potatoes.
This way you can go through the whole process of steeping your own grains, adding the hops and extract during boil, etc.

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:

Old 02-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
FensterBos
Recipes 

Here is a good one that you do everything (steeping, hops, etc.): http://www.homebrewers.com/product/A...-Beer-Kit.html

Fermenting:

Kegged:

Quick Reply