Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > wort watter level

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
scurvymeat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default wort watter level

Simple question I suppose but u wanted to know what difference it made.
I have made a few recipes so far and they have ranged from 1gal to 3 or 3.5gal starting on a wort.
What effect does this have, if any?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Um, a one gallon batch is four quarts and a 3 gallon batch makes three times as much beer?

I don't understand what you are asking.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
invictusbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Is this all for 5 gallon batches? The smaller for a 1 or 2.5 gallon batch and the larger for a 5 gallon batch? Your question does seem easy enough to answer, we just need a bit more info to give an accurate answer for what you want to know.

Primary1: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary2: None
Secondary 1: None
Secondary 2: None
Conditioning: The Beast Barleywine
Drinking: The Templar IIPA, Strawberry Blonde

On Deck: 30 Gal Electric Brewhouse! (We'll see how much SWMBO loves me after this "little" project)

Old 07-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
kgg_033
Recipes 

Based on the original post, i can only assume by the phrase 'starting on wort' that the actual batches were the same size, but the boil volume (or resulting wort) was different prior to adding water to reach that batch size.
Assuming this is right, here is how 'boil volume' can affect your beer:
1) too 'thick' a boil can result in, what i call, extract twinge. A weaird, chalky flavor common in homebrews. this is my opinion.
2) the thicker the boil, the less IBU's will be extracted from the hops (assuming boil time and qty of hops remain the same). conversely, the 'thinner' the boil, the more utilization from hops you will have. Trust me, a few yrs back I made a rookie mistake and decided to change my recipe on the fly. In order to limit the extract twinge, i decided to add half of my extract at flameout, although i wrote the recipe assuming all of it was added at the start of the boil. What was supposed to be a mildly hopped nut brown turned into one hell of a bitter beer!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
scurvymeat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry!
Lack of details. I meant all the beers were 5 gallon batches. And the recipe has the water volume to begin at anywhere from 1gal to 3gal.
Thank you for the responses even though my post lacked many details.
I believe KGG that will help me greatly.

Quick Reply