New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort volume after boil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
pryopen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extra wort after boil

Hi all....I just started my first batch a couple of days ago and obviously have to make my first post to see if all is well with the brew.

I decided to save some money in the long term and bought a 10 gal kettle and start with a full boil. And thanks to all the info on here, I feel everything went well and I adjusted the hops for the full boil. The only problem I am worried about is not being able to maintain a good vigorous boil on my gas stovetop using 2 burners. I started with 6.5 gal initial volume that I finally decided on after reading posts. It took awhile to but I was able to get a good rolling boil, although I was unable to keep it going uncovered. I would leave the lid on partially to heat it back up but was hesitant to leave on too long to let the sulfur compounds boil off. After the boil I poured 5.5 gal into fermenter and had about 0.5 gal left over, maybe a little more, and the trub. The OG was 1.041-1.042, while the recipe predicted for 1.047. My fermenter is now sitting at 63-64 deg and started bubbling at about 18 hours post boil.

The waiting is going to suck.....but in the meantime I was just wondering how my beer may be affected by not boiling off the extra volume. Thanks

Last edited by pryopen; 11-16-2011 at 04:37 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Don't worry, it'll be fine. Also, take this opportunity to pick up a propane turkey fry kit in post Thanksgiving day sales. They'll set you back 20-40 bucks on sale and will get you to a boil faster and more consistently.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Until you get the turkey fryer, wrap the pot in a couple of layers of aluminum foil.leave the lid on until it starts to boil then remove the lid.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
ZamaMan
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 45

You should always try for 6 gal post boil. 5.5 clear wort in fermenter 5 in kegs. Sometimes on my choppy beers I still need an additional .5 gal.
Also personal on my stove when I took off the circle piece that spreads the flame out my boils got more vigorous.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
pryopen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
Until you get the turkey fryer, wrap the pot in a couple of layers of aluminum foil.leave the lid on until it starts to boil then remove the lid.
Thanks, I tried this on my 2nd brew this weekend and it worked really well. I was able to boil off more volume this time and didn't end up with much extra like on my 1st batch.

"I took off the circle piece that spreads the flame out my boils got more vigorous." ZamaMan

I tried this also but could not ignite my burner without the dispersion plate.

Quick Reply