Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort temperature concern

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
frostyp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wort temperature concern

I ferment in buckets with stick on temperature reading LCD gauges , if as I am led to believe that the fermenting temperature could be quite a few degrees higher in the centre , what or how is the best way of obtaining the reading so I constantly know what's going on in there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
barmyarmy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It takes a while to heat up 5 to 10 gallons. Try taping the probe to the bucket then put card board or bubble wrap to insulate it. This should keep you within acceptable range. You can also use an immersion probe.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

The wort throughout the bucket is going to be constantly trying to achieve a temperature equilibrium, so it's not like it you will have any concentrated "hot spot" in the center.

If you've checked the accuracy of the stick-on thermometer and have confidence in it, that will give you a decent approximation of the wort temp. I have avoided using any kind of probe into the wort since I don't wish to needlessly increase the risk of infection. I tape the temp probe from my controller on the side of the bucket and insulate it with bubble wrap.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Someone used a thermowell to measure the difference in the temperature between the center of the fermenter and the outside of a plastic bucket and found less than 2 degrees difference.

Quick Reply