Wort splashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mslauto

Reaction score
Does anyone know what splashing your pre boiled wort will cause ? I have herd you should not do it.

Splashing is okay pre-fermentation, as in while transferring to the fermenter, which is what I assume you mean. In fact, it will help to aerate/oxygenate the wort, which is good for your little yeastie buddies.

Boiling the wort will just drive off o2 anyway. so chilling it down & splashing/aerating before pitching yeast is fine.

There's a continuing debate about the effects, if any, of "hot wort aeration" causing off-flavors and the extent to which one must splash to cause the problem.

I tend to err on the side of caution and try to not splash the hot wort around. Cold wort (under 80*F) aeration, on the other hand, is a good thing.

Splashing after fermentation has begun leads to oxygenation (which is bad). No debate about that one.

I really screwed up my last batch. Got a stuck sparge and in trying to fix it and transferring the wort between buckets/pots, it got splashed to all hell and abused like a red headed step child. If this batch turns ok, I'm going to lean towards hot side aeration not being an issue...

chungking said:
I really screwed up my last batch. Got a stuck sparge and in trying to fix it and transferring the wort between buckets/pots, it got splashed to all hell and abused like a red headed step child. If this batch turns ok, I'm going to lean towards hot side aeration not being an issue...

I just did this with my last batch.

I had no way to measure volume in brewpot, so when the sparge stuck I had no idea how much wort I had.

So I had to dump into measuring bucket. All while hot.

I am too am hoping HSA is a myth.

I think it takes a goodly amount of wort abuse before HSA (Hot Side Aeration) becomes a problem ime so far.

What I did was a batch of BIAB and pulled my grain bag our if the sparge pot (batch sparge ) and set it on top of a cake drying rack and poured my wort back thru the grain bag to filter it . So it all splashed down into the pot from 10 inches high at the highest. Then began my boil

I put mu BIAB in a SS collander on top of the BK/MT to sparge. It starts out at about the same height,& no problems thus far.

Back