Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort cooling idea, will this work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
GreenDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Wort cooling idea, will this work?

So I don't have a wort chiller (yet!) and I'm brewing a wheat beer St. Patrick's Day morning. Usually for me chilling the wort is painfully slow so I have a few ideas.

1) I stuck 2 gallons of the Ozarka bottled water in the fidge. I'll do my 3 gallon wort like normal, then do one or two rounds in the ice bath and then dump it in my ale pale. I'll then add the 2 gallons of chilled water to this. Hopefully this will bring me to within pitching temps because if it doesn't I don't have a way to chill the ale pale.

2) I'll do my 3 gallon wort like normal, then do one or two rounds in the ice bath and then stick then entire pot into the freezer (I have a spare empty freezer). Then add in the extra 2 gallons of water like normal. I'm worried about the word closest to the sides freezing and the wort in the middle staying warm though.

How do other non-wort chiller brewers do it?

-------------------------------------------------
Keg 1 : Bee Cave's House Pale Ale
Keg 2 :
Fermenting: Irish Wee Heavy
On Deck: La Blue Girl Blueberry Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
bgruis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

While I think either of those options would work I personally would look into the "No Chill" method. I've heard very encouraging things about it.

Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Before I got a wort chiller, and when I was still doing partial boils, what I did was similar to your method.

Basically I would freeze 2 gallons of sanitized water in smaller sealed & sanitized containers and when I got to flameout, I would just dump in my big ice cubes and gently stir. I'd also put the pot in an ice bath in the sink and run the water on the outside such that it was constantly recirculating. That would usually do the trick pretty fast.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
mdstrobe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think adding cold water is your best idea. Try not to move the pot with the semi warm wort too much.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Flywheel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Before I got a wort chiller, and when I was still doing partial boils, what I did was similar to your method.

Basically I would freeze 2 gallons of sanitized water in smaller sealed & sanitized containers and when I got to flameout, I would just dump in my big ice cubes and gently stir. I'd also put the pot in an ice bath in the sink and run the water on the outside such that it was constantly recirculating. That would usually do the trick pretty fast.
I do this, but I don't freeze my top off water, I just get it to about 33 F. Than, I put ice, water and isopropyl alcohol (about a cup - works way better than salt to bring tamps down) in the bath tub for my ice bath. I'm at temp in about 5 minutes.
Keg4: StarSan
Bottle: Belgian Strong Golden Ale
Secondary: 68ºF air
Primary1: Cider
Primary2: Nothing
Planned: hmmmmmm

You mean a woman of your culture and money and beauty and money and wealth and money would, would marry that imposter?

Poison for email spiders

Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I put my top up water in the fridge the night before I brew. Then, I use my sink to cool the wort down under 90F which takes 15-20 minutes. At that point I pour it into the fermenter and top up with the 35 degree water from the fridge. Takes it right down to 60.

I have a double sink so I can switch back and forth quickly and my tap water runs about 40F. Not sure what your water temps are like there so YMMV.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
ongreystreet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do not put it in the freezer. Waste of time.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongreystreet View Post
Do not put it in the freezer. Waste of time.
+1 on this too. Without stirring, it will take a LONG time to cool in the freezer. First the wort would heat up the air inside the freezer faster than the compressor can cool it, plus without stirring the wort won't cool very fast anyway.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

I'm in the same boat. Thinking along the same lines. The "top off" method in the instruction's just isn't cuttin it. I thought,do the ice bath,have 2-3 gallons of spring water in the fridge,then maybe 1 gallon of it at room temp,just in case.?...

Old 03-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use my inground pool from October-April. Once summer temps warm up the pool I have to use a water bath in my kitchen sink.

Quick Reply