Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort the color of swamp water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
discodewey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wort the color of swamp water

So a buddy and I made our first all-grain brew yesterday. We did a 1/2 batch (~ 10L / 2.5G) using 2.5lbs of 2-row, 2.5lbs of pale malt and 0.5lb of oat flakes.
Our mash temperature got a bit high on us. It was probably ~160F for quite a while (30+ minutes). I'm a bit worried about this.

It's the following day and it seems to be fermenting just fine.

Anyways, my main question is about the color of the wort. Instead of a nice golden brown that I've seen it's more of a green-brown. Kinda swamp water looking.

Should I be concerned? Or just happy if we make good swamp water our first time around?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Don't worry about the color so much... When I first started, I fretted about the color... The funny thing is, is that I make a wheat beer that has a putrid puke color to the wort, but pours a nice golden hue after bottle conditioning. So, don't judge it until you ferment, carb, and condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
discodewey
Recipes 

Thanks BigB. The description of your wheat beer (putrid puke) sounds like the colour of our brew

Quick Reply