Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort chilling question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
mtrogers14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wort chilling question

I am wondering if I have a wort chiller (and I do) is that in itself sufficient for chilling my wort without the ice bath or do I need to do both ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Depends on your choice. Everyone I know who uses a wort chiller uses just that since it's constantly pumping cold water in. I imagine it would chill faster if you used both but honestly you should get the right results from just the chiller. I use the ice because I live in an apartment where it's not really efficient to use.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 71

You want to get the wort down to pitching temps as fast as possible. Anything below 160 F is susceptible to infection. An ice bath helps get you down to pitching temps ASAP. I do both. Necessary? No. I live in Florida and the wort chiller will only get me down to 80-90 degrees. I need ice to do the rest.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I live in Philly and have pretty cold tap water, but I still have to use an ice bath after IC to get my wort down to pitching temps

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 12-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I use both for the speed and chiller gets it to 80-90 O.K., but with adding the bath it is a bunch faster.

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 12-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

how cold is your tap water? your chiller will work better the colder the water is. an ice bath will always make the process go faster and therefor minimize your risk of infection. the time spent from 160* to your sealed fermenter is the danger zone for infection. if you can rig an ice bath with little hassle id say its probably worth it.

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 12-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
NewDecadeBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I use an IC that gets me down to 80 pretty fast in the summer, 70 to low 70's in winter (my tap water is pretty warm all year). Watched a video awhile back where the brewer fed the warm water into his washing machine and I do that. When the washer is full it's about time for the next step. Then I hook a pond pump into the IC in a loop in a bucket of ice water for the rest. I whirlpool with my spoon or mash paddle a the beginning of cooling and it gets the temp down fast. Not too vigorous at first to avoid HSA. I usually take the spoon out during the ice bucket phase but then I swirl or jiggle the IC for increased cooling if needed.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
carsonwarstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDecadeBrewery
I use an IC that gets me down to 80 pretty fast in the summer, 70 to low 70's in winter (my tap water is pretty warm all year). Watched a video awhile back where the brewer fed the warm water into his washing machine and I do that. When the washer is full it's about time for the next step. Then I hook a pond pump into the IC in a loop in a bucket of ice water for the rest. I whirlpool with my spoon or mash paddle a the beginning of cooling and it gets the temp down fast. Not too vigorous at first to avoid HSA. I usually take the spoon out during the ice bucket phase but then I swirl or jiggle the IC for increased cooling if needed.
Best method and allows you to fully utilize both... A sump pump is cheap. Only need a 15-20 pump to get results. Harbor freight makes some good cheap ones.

Quick Reply