Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort chiller question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
GroovePuppy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Wort chiller question

Ok, since I'm bottling this weekend I need to prep for my next batch. Just ordered 50' of 3/8" copper tubing from CopperTubingSales.com :: ICS Indsutries :: (who apparently can't spell indSUtries) to make my own immersion chiller, since it seems I can make a 50' chiller for the price of buying a 25' one on eBay.

So I had a thought, should I make a 50' chiller or two 25' chillers so I can prechill with ice water? I have no idea what my cold water temp is but I figure that, even if it's pretty low, it's still better to get a large thermal gradient between chiller and wort than to increase surface area.

Please, if you respond with math and include your working make sure you also include the answer so I don't have to think to much. My brain is full.

Oh yeah, I'm in Northern CA and I doubt my summer cold water is really cold. Oh wait, I think I may have just answered my own question.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I say make two. By the time the chiller water has made its way through the 50', it has probably lost any ability to transfer heat. My 25' starts out hot as hell coming out the other end, so it has already lost most of its ability to cool the wort.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also, here in TX I'm dealing with the same warm ground water issues as you, I have switched from a pre-chiller, to a small pump to pump ice water through. The pre-chiller wasn't as effecient as I had hoped.

I start w/ 2 5gal buckets of tap water. Once those have gone through it is cooled pretty well, and I switch to ice. 1 more 5 gal bucket full of ice water, and a couple extra bags of ice. I recycle the water coming out of the chiller once it is cool enough, and just add ice to the bucket the water is being pumped from. I can get down to about 45F for lagers, in about 25 minutes.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 10-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

+1 on making 2. I wish i had made too because even with a 15 gal boil, a prechiller would be much nicer to have. I made a 25 ft chiller and im going to make a 35 or 40 ft chiller and use my previous one as a prechiller.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

make 2 and sell one to another homebrewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Quick Reply