Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort Chiller Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
JWest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wort Chiller Question

Hey guys...I'm a couple days after pitching the yeast on my first batch, and I want to get some things I need/want before my next batch. I had a question on the immersion wort chillers. Do they hook up to a standard kitchen sink, or do they need to hook up to an outdoor garden hose type spigot? If it won't attach to a normal kitchen sink, are there attachments I can buy to make this happen?

This is the one I was looking at.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
TheSeether
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest View Post
If it won't attach to a normal kitchen sink, are there attachments I can buy to make this happen?
That is the ticket. "normal" is the keyword, too. Some faucets, like mine, are not normal.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/defaul...t-adapter.html
Any brew supply and any hardware store sells these things for cheap.

edit: The amount NB wants is outrageous, BTW. These are typically under $2. Also, I recommend getting the chiller and taking it along with the piece from your faucet to a plumbing store or hardware store with plumbing section and getting an adapter you know fits your rig.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
JWest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeether View Post
That is the ticket. "normal" is the keyword, too. Some faucets, like mine, are not normal.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/defaul...t-adapter.html
Any brew supply and any hardware store sells these things for cheap.
That looks like it'd only work with a threaded faucet, which I don't have. I'm considering running a hose from outside to make this work, unless anyone has a better idea.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
nos33
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i put in a t bracket off my ice maker on my fridge and use that as a water supply because my sink faucet would not work and there is a foot of snow making my outside faucets not work either. all mine are 1/4" diameters and they work okay.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
TheSeether
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest View Post
I'm considering running a hose from outside to make this work, unless anyone has a better idea.
If you don't feel threads on your faucet but you see an aerator then you most likely can unscrew the aerator and find exposed threads beneath. If you have a extendable faucet, like me, many times they are molded and/or proprietary threads. These can be unscrewed at the hose and an adapter fitted to that instead.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

are you using a kitchen faucet? you should be able to unscrew the tip to most kitchen faucets to use the screw in adapter. my faucet in my basement was a solid one piece so I ran a hose outside for a while but that was too much work so I ended up just replacing the faucet.

shat happens

Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
JWest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeether View Post
If you don't feel threads on your faucet but you see an aerator then you most likely can unscrew the aerator and find exposed threads beneath. If you have a extendable faucet, like me, many times they are molded and/or proprietary threads. These can be unscrewed at the hose and an adapter fitted to that instead.
This is exactly what I have. I just went to see if I could unscrew the tip of the faucet, and I definitely have an aerator. Never had any reason to investigate this before...thanks for the help! I should be able to use the chiller I linked to now.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You have to unscrew the diffuser then install a faucet/hose adapter from any hardware store.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply