Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Wort Chiller Question (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wort-chiller-question-226067/)

JWest 02-17-2011 07:39 PM

Wort Chiller Question
 
Hey guys...I'm a couple days after pitching the yeast on my first batch, and I want to get some things I need/want before my next batch. I had a question on the immersion wort chillers. Do they hook up to a standard kitchen sink, or do they need to hook up to an outdoor garden hose type spigot? If it won't attach to a normal kitchen sink, are there attachments I can buy to make this happen?

This is the one I was looking at.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

TheSeether 02-17-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWest (Post 2656085)
If it won't attach to a normal kitchen sink, are there attachments I can buy to make this happen?

That is the ticket. "normal" is the keyword, too. Some faucets, like mine, are not normal.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/defaul...t-adapter.html
Any brew supply and any hardware store sells these things for cheap.

edit: The amount NB wants is outrageous, BTW. These are typically under $2. Also, I recommend getting the chiller and taking it along with the piece from your faucet to a plumbing store or hardware store with plumbing section and getting an adapter you know fits your rig.

JWest 02-17-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeether (Post 2656110)
That is the ticket. "normal" is the keyword, too. Some faucets, like mine, are not normal.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/defaul...t-adapter.html
Any brew supply and any hardware store sells these things for cheap.

That looks like it'd only work with a threaded faucet, which I don't have. I'm considering running a hose from outside to make this work, unless anyone has a better idea.

nos33 02-17-2011 07:51 PM

i put in a t bracket off my ice maker on my fridge and use that as a water supply because my sink faucet would not work and there is a foot of snow making my outside faucets not work either. all mine are 1/4" diameters and they work okay.

TheSeether 02-17-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWest (Post 2656138)
I'm considering running a hose from outside to make this work, unless anyone has a better idea.

If you don't feel threads on your faucet but you see an aerator then you most likely can unscrew the aerator and find exposed threads beneath. If you have a extendable faucet, like me, many times they are molded and/or proprietary threads. These can be unscrewed at the hose and an adapter fitted to that instead.

ThatGuyRyan 02-17-2011 07:58 PM

are you using a kitchen faucet? you should be able to unscrew the tip to most kitchen faucets to use the screw in adapter. my faucet in my basement was a solid one piece so I ran a hose outside for a while but that was too much work so I ended up just replacing the faucet.

JWest 02-17-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeether (Post 2656186)
If you don't feel threads on your faucet but you see an aerator then you most likely can unscrew the aerator and find exposed threads beneath. If you have a extendable faucet, like me, many times they are molded and/or proprietary threads. These can be unscrewed at the hose and an adapter fitted to that instead.

This is exactly what I have. I just went to see if I could unscrew the tip of the faucet, and I definitely have an aerator. Never had any reason to investigate this before...thanks for the help! I should be able to use the chiller I linked to now.

Revvy 02-17-2011 08:09 PM

You have to unscrew the diffuser then install a faucet/hose adapter from any hardware store.

http://http.cdnlayer.com/ec1images/2..._090608_dp.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.