Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort chiller - no sink hook up, other alternatives?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
brewd00d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Wort chiller - no sink hook up, other alternatives?

My B-Day was a few weeks ago and i got some northern brewer gift cards totaling $150. last night i decided to make a mass purchase of various things from beer ingeredients to T-Shirts. Among them i decided to grab a wort chiller as im tired of the ice and sink meathod.

I knew all along that i would have a problem with connecting the vinyl hose to my sink faucet since its kinda "fancy" and does not allow the removal of the faucet end to thread on a hose or anything since its a detachable sprayer and faucet in one.

Im not worried about not being able to use the sink faucet im sure ill figure something out but i wanted to get the beer community in on this to see what other people have "rigged up" aside from buying an expensive pump or running the garden hose into the house.

Worst case scenario ill just hold the end of the tube to the sink faucet and see what happens. Another idea was having a cold water bucker above the kettle and start a siphon to get te water going. We'll see how that works out.

So, if anyone has some thoughts or other inexpensive ideas, please chime in.

BREW ON!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Any faucets in the laundry room? Or bathroom? My wife uses a hose to add water to the aquarium from the kitchen.

Old portable washing machines had a rubber funnel-thingy with a hose that was strapped to any kind of kitchen faucet - that might work (if you can engineer something from my silly explanation).

B

Old 07-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4356 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Where is your laundry room? Maybe the washer hook up would work, if it's in a convenient place. Or the bathroom sink?

In order to get this to work, it needs to connect to the faucet. Otherwise, the flow will be too slow and/or water will spray everywhere. Trust me on the "water spraying everywhere" bit, by the way!

Old 07-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hooked one of these splitters by my laundry sink for using my wort chiller in the winter. The splitters is attached to where my washing machine hooks up. I bought a small 5 ft of garden hose for the inlet and another for the outlet. Works like a champ!

image-2609887616.jpg  

Old 07-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Or you could run a hose into the house.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birvine View Post
Any faucets in the laundry room? Or bathroom? My wife uses a hose to add water to the aquarium from the kitchen.

Old portable washing machines had a rubber funnel-thingy with a hose that was strapped to any kind of kitchen faucet - that might work (if you can engineer something from my silly explanation).

B
Laundry room is up stairs, and we dont have one of those wash room sinks.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My only other alternative is to tap into the pvc pipe under the sink and install a garden hose thats like 2 feet enough to attach the vinyl hose from the chiller on

Old 07-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

You could always run the splitter off your cold water that your washer is connected to, just put the outlet in the washer and do a load of laundry after... Waste not want not.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgagne View Post
You could always run the splitter off your cold water that your washer is connected to, just put the outlet in the washer and do a load of laundry after... Waste not want not.
The washer we have is on a pedestal, that would in invole pulling the 500 pound washer out, then climbing on top to connect the hose. Def not something i wanna do that often. but thanks. ill find something....

Old 07-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You said fancy faucet? Does it have on of the sprayers? If so they usually screw off of the tubing and there should be a way to hook up the cooler to that. My sink has a pull out faucet that works as a sprayer. If I unscrww ir I am sure I could find the right stuff to make it work.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Quick Reply