Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > wort chiller as an aerator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
liebertron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default wort chiller as an aerator?

My friend who has been brewing beer for a while said that you should pump the wort chiller in the wort as you are chilling in order to mix air before siphoning into the fermenter. Does anyone know why, or if this has any merit? This information was obtained from a much more knowledge brewer but we have no idea why.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 309

You mean compressing it a little over and over? I've done that, but I was doing it to mix the wort a little so that it chilled more evenly. I don't always do it, depending on what else I have to do before transferring it to the fermenter and/or how impatient I'm feeling.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
gingerdawg
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You betcha! I let the wort cool to about 100* moving the chiller a little to promote good cooling. After that, I work it up and down to aerate the wort and finish cooling. works like a champ!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
clancyob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Moving the chiller around will help it cool faster. Unless you are pumping like a mad man, I doubt it would aerate. You also want to aerate after its cool, not while its still hot.

I would say move it around for cooling, after its cool aerate by any of the other prescribed methods in these forums.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ahh "pump" as in push the chiller up and down...I thought you meant pump your chiller water into the wort!! It will help it chill faster, but yeah you'll probably still want to actually aerate also once its cooled and in the carboy. Apparently you need to be careful splashing too much while its still hot, but I don't know how viable of a concern this really is.

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Quick Reply