The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
EricF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wort Chiller

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie brewer, I did not boil my wort chiller for 10/15 minutes prior to the end of boil. Rather, I just stuck it in after the boil.. Do you think I've infected my beer?

Thx,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
gandalfiii
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Probably not.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Possibly. Only thing you can do now is wait to see how it turns out. At worst you have to dump it, but it is always best to wait and see.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

You were probably at boiling temps after the boil for long enough to kill anything on the chiller.

For future brews if you have something questionable like this happen--your chiller leaks water into the wort, your dog sticks his tounge in the wort, etc, just fire up the burner and boil for a little longer then chill.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 554 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Not likely. I would expect the temperature was hot enough to kill any bugs.

But, if it was brand new you might have some metallic or oily taste from the uncleaned metal.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Also, copper has antimicrobial properties... I don't know much about this, but others on this forum have made claims about this being a reason why you shouldn't worry about boiling your chiller.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Ingvaroo
Recipes 

My first AG i stuck a dirty copper worth chiller into the wort and boiled for 15mins, had oil on it and everything (i was stupid and didnt figure out it was dirty untill 5mins later)

Beer turned out fantastic, was a german weissebier, and now i got a bit improved recipe of that beer fermenting it was fantastic.

Beer Beer Beer !

Old 07-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
IdahoSpud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A couple of minutes above 162 degrees should kill most organisms. OTOH, if you put the water right to it, the surface of your copper might not have been hot long enough to do the trick.

Suggestion: Go buy an orange 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot for $5 and mix up a batch of Star San before brewing. I keep all my brewing crap (wort chiller, wine thief, hydrometer, stirring spoon, yeast, funnel, airlock and stopper) soaking in that until they are needed.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Brak23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSpud View Post
A couple of minutes above 162 degrees should kill most organisms. OTOH, if you put the water right to it, the surface of your copper might not have been hot long enough to do the trick.

Suggestion: Go buy an orange 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot for $5 and mix up a batch of Star San before brewing. I keep all my brewing crap (wort chiller, wine thief, hydrometer, stirring spoon, yeast, funnel, airlock and stopper) soaking in that until they are needed.
I thought Star Sans strips the copper off the wort chiller over time? I was always told not to use star san on my copper wort chiller.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
IdahoSpud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brak23 View Post
I thought Star Sans strips the copper off the wort chiller over time? I was always told not to use star san on my copper wort chiller.
You are correct. Star san is phosphoric acid solution, and acids certainly do attack metals.

However I temper that knowledge with this thought process:

It will take a *very* long time to do significant damage using a weak acid such as phosphoric (as opposed to strong acids like sulfuric or hydrochloric), and also the acid is a very diluted solution (1 oz Star San per 5 gallons water).

If I was seeing bubbles of hydrogen coming off the copper as it dissolved in the Star San, then I would be worried But by all means if you are concerned about damaging your chiller, do your own thing!

Quick Reply